Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some inspection tonight, found something...

On the RH side of the engine, there are two steel tubes that come out near the exhaust manifold with a Orange wire coming out of the tubes. The wires terminate into what looked life a inline fuse block which is plastic. A connector from a wire harness then fit into the "fuse block".

The forward fuse block was melted severely and the harness connector was disconnected. The rearward fuse block was also connected and I think the wire was broken.

Any clues what this is, pretty sure I need to fix it. I don't have a service engine light but I think I should break down and get a OBD II reader (all I have is OBD I).

I've been reading up on the FAQ's as I don't think the turbo is working, I got a best of 16 mpg freeway, a little too much white smoke at startup, a little hard to start and stalled once. The FAQ has been very useful and several new parts are in my future. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!! Could these broken wires have anything to do with any of the above? I'll try to get some pictures in the next few days.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
What you described is the Glow Plug wiring, which will effect ease of starting, with subsequent white smoke.

I'd fix that first, also checking the other 6 Glow Plug circuits, one of which is orange, the rest blue-gray wiring.

The Glow Plugs must be checked individually, at 1.2 ohms each

Then check the Vacuum system - 22"hg at the pump at idle, 15"hg at the wastegate actuator.

Other than that, if you're not seeing heavy black smoke, the Turbo is functional.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts