Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find it hard to believe that GM put a non-convex mirror on the passenger-side power-extending towing mirrors. You can see just about nothing in that mirror. Other than stickingon a big ugly round convex mirror, or a small round useless convex mirror, is there a way to retrofit a convex mirror element from another GM mirror?

Thx-

Mark

·
Registered
389 Posts
mark

i bet you got that mirrior on accident, meaning my truck, a 3500 came with a non convex on the passenger side to. about a year later i saw one on a 3500 parked in a lot. went to the dealer parts dept. he checked my vin# , the computer said i had a convex mirrior installed on the truck when i clearly did not. parts guy thought the orginal got broke, and they put on one they had in stock, or the wrong mirror was installed at the factory he was'nt sure. either way i had to pay for the right mirror. 180.00

john

02 chevy drw cc lb 4x4 lt

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mine isn't convex either. When I first got the truck I thought I was losing it or something because I couldn't get that mirror adjusted right. Every time I got in the truck, I felt like I had to re-adjust the mirror. Then I finally realized it wasn't convex which is why I always felt like I couldn't see anything out of it!!

From the link http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4395&KW=convex+mirror, it seems as if there are a few people without the convex mirror. Edited by: Fin-Addict

·
Registered
6 Posts
I solved the problem with a Burco Ready Cuts convex mirror #3223. It is a stick on that fits pretty close. It is about 3/4" narrow so that you still can see the lighted turn signal arrow on the end of the mirror. Cost was about $20 and a couple of globbs of clear silicone adhesive. The result is a mirror that works.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It is a bummer not to have at least some section of the mirror on both side with a large enough piece of convex glass in it to be able to see out of. For goodness sakes, these trucks are made to tow and that's what the extending mirror is all about. That was the biggest reason I ordered my truck. I wasn't buying a 40K+ truck only to have to put the CIPA slipon mirrors back on again to tow the travel trailer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bigblue01,

Thanks for the info about the Burco mirrors, that looks like the ticket. Now hopefully my wife won't put any more Hondas into the nickel seats (it's her truck).

larsonem,

I hear ya. I came close to getting an F250 but the 6.0L issues were too scary (one friend of mine dumped his truck it ran so bad, another friend's truck runs perfect). So, I whipped out my employee purchase cert and got the HD. I just whish it had the Ford mirrors.

Mark

·
Registered
1,360 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Put me in the 'too stupid to notice club'! Just bought an 04 last week and on a short trip yesterday, adjusted that right mirror a half-dozen times.

Big Blue, Where can you buy the Burco mirrors?

Later. ..LD

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've been looking for a convex glass to install over the existing mirror since I bought my truck! I have the non power extendable towing morrors. I looked at the Burco link, but didn't see one for my application. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just don't want to spend $400+ for replacement mirrors if I dont have to.

Kevin

·
Registered
103 Posts
It's some legal deal with towing a long load. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. All of the extendables come with straight glass now, bummer. At least my manuals have a little cat eye built in.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
MOTO HEAD said:
It's some legal deal with towing a long load. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. All of the extendables come with straight glass now, bummer. At least my manuals have a little cat eye built in.

Could you replace the mirror in the right side extendable mirror with one from a non-extendable?

Of course, one wouldn't ask the stealer to do anything illegal, but what I do with it once I walk out the door is another matter...

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Sounds like a real good idea Zeeb, if it will work.

Anyone know if it will work???

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mine came with the regular mirrors and then I ordered the factory extendables. I thought of swapping the glass but the shape of the standard mirror is different. I was really disapointed and tried to find a convex replacement but I eventually flaked out. I think the Burco sounds like a good idea. I don't know if it will work on my manual extendables though because of the built in cat eye. In the mean time I just bit the bullet and got used to mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Burco #3223 is for a Dodge truck, but it fits almost perfectly leaving about 1" of the bottom mirror exposed so you can see the in mirror turn signals. The Burco website has a dealer finder.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I looked for the Burco website and could not find a lisiting. What website were you looking at? Do you have an address? Thanks.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I was at Pep Boys the other day, and in my never-ending quest for a convex mirror, found a catalog that had replacement mirrors for American cars and trucks. There was a listing for the manual, extendable camping mirrors that are on my truck. The description for the passenger's side mirror stated "Convex"! I asked the guy at the parts counter if it was the entire glass or just a cat's eye. He was 90% sure it is the entire glass. The pic in the catalog was of the back side of the mirror, but it was an exact match for the OEM's on my truck.

I will talk with the parts manager in a few days to ensure that if I order it and it is not a full convex glass, I won't have to accept it.

The price was $131 IIRC.

They had listings for most, if not all Chevy truck mirrors, so this may be an option for you guys hunting replacements.

I'll let you know what I find out...

Kevin

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just had to replace the glass on my 2004 I broke it on the garage door, bummer, I called three auto glass companys and was told the same thing, can't get a 2004 for a couple of months so the dealer has the only game in town, had them order one for $134.00, tow extend heated with leds, my old one that broke said "objects may appear closer etc". This was on it when purchased in Sept 03, It took two days to receive the new glass and it was a regular glass with no writing, I asked the parts guy and he said that was the only number he had for a 2004 pass side tow mirror. I needed the glass so I was stuck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I bought of pair of these angled stick-ons from Advance Auto parts. The
blind spots are gone and do not cover the turn signal light or take up much room. About 2" wide by 1" tall. A few bucks for both.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts