Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay i have used the search feature but i still have some questions. i just purchased a used 6 disc head(bose xm) and bose amp from a fellow DP member. i plan on installing this in my 04 which is an ls model and sports a standard cd player. i do not have onstar or steering controls.can i use the bose amp? where would i mount it? what wiring would i need?i am pretty sure it is not a lux amp. i also have a couple aftermarket amps that i could use. i read the thread where ben mentioned that if a vin from a colorado with 6disc is used by the dealer i could activate the internal amp. if i use the bose amp i would probably upgrade to the lux amp, but will it sound that much better than an aftermarket amp?also, i would love to be able to use the xm feature. i guess i could buy the antenna and wiring through my dealer? anything else i would need? sorry for the lenghty post and thanks in advance. wil

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I have a guy in Alabama doing this very thing... Rewiring for the Bose system. He has no fear of ripping out the stock wiring and replacing with the Bose equipped harnesses. He is not part of this site... I met him through ebay selling my "Premium" Bose stuff I removed from a 2005 Suburban. He claims to have been a dealer tech for electrical trouble-shooting, and has rewire systems before. He is still looking for some of the wiring harness to complete his job. I told him about this site and asked him to sign up and become a contributing member. I told him his expertise would be a big help to some here and others could help him with other problems he may encounter. I will contact him for his bose conversion status...

All I know from his explanations is get some good Bose and non-Bose wiring diagrams, locate some harnesses from a local junkyard and have at it. It can be done if you are that ambitious, but to date, I know of no one personally who has done it.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
that sounds like it is going to be big job to me
He claims it's not too bad. The harness simply unplugs and the Bose plugs back in it's place, pulling some of the "pins" like power and data 2 buslink and plugging them into the bose harness plugs... More power to him.

I ordered my truck with the minimum Bose system so I wouldn't have those headaches. I personally would have just installed an aftermarket system if I didn't have Bose to start with. But thanks to this site, I had enough insite to order it with the Bose system... Just kicking myself in the @$$ for not getting XM... Installing that now after getting the stock components out of a 2005 Suburban.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
If you hook up the Bose amp to your stock (non bose) speakers you wont be happy...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cant i purchase aftermarket speakers? what about the using an aftermarket amp with the PAC plug or whatever its called. seems to me it would be the easiest route. wil

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
cant i purchase aftermarket speakers? what about the using an aftermarket amp with the PAC plug or whatever its called. seems to me it would be the easiest route. wil
if you dont have a bose system i think it would be easier that way also but if you have a bose system already DURAtotheMAX says that it is a pretty easy upgrade to a bose lux system

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I think that would be your best bet at this point. And since you don't have steering wheel controls and such, this would be an easy change out. I was kind of anal with keeping it all "stock", because I didn't want to lose my steering wheel controls, etc.

Keep us posted...

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
if you use the PAC deals on a aftermarket deck you are able to use the controls on your steering wheel that you have now and if you can why do i keep reading about this IR that you have to install for the Pac to work

1 - 11 of 11 Posts