Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if the manual climate control can be switched over to the digital/automatic climate control?

thanks

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
It's just not possible. There is too much involved. You would need a donor truck and a ton of changes as far as sensors, air ducts, wiring etc.

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
I agree with Tony. A huge job, IMO.

The "easiest" way would be to take a complete HVAC housing from a donor truck and install it in yours, then add the interior air temp sensor (the little "speaker" thingy above the driver) and connect into whatever other sensors you'd need to...like I said, a huge job.

·
Registered
693 Posts
:exactly:

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think the auto control head is a PITA to use. Bad human engineering. If I had it to do over again I'd get the manual controls. I do think the auto head looks better.

·
Registered
404 Posts
yeah theres gotta be a dozen or more temperature sensors all over the cab youd have to tear the truck apart.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
not to mention youd need a new blower motor too.

manual (CJ3) HVAC uses a simple rheostat for blower motor speed control

auto (CJ2) HVAC uses digital PWM (pulse width modulation) to control blower speed...

and all the new ducts. and all the temp sensors (I counted about 8 last time I took my truck apart). and BCM programming. and a new HVAC unit itself. whew!!

amazingly, its like the ONE thing in the truck thats (for the most part) impossible to add if it didnt come from teh factory.

--Ben

1 - 7 of 7 Posts