Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what all is involved in converting a dually over to a single wheel? i think i can find a DRW NBS truck cheaper than i can find a SRW.

any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Find someone who wants to do the opposite and swap parts !!!!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
as for the front you can just unbolt the dually adapters and put single rear wheels on, thats what i did, i believe the rear axle is a couple inches wider

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
id swap with ya....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Was thinking about swapin my 07 classic cc 3500SRW to dually too After using a Friends Lifted 450 to tow my CIG around. Oh sorry i said the F word!
Prob just wait n get the 650 w Cat. Damn there I go again. And I own 8 chevys!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I was thinking of doing the same to another truck. So is the rear axle the only thing you have to swap?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
srw axle is 4" narrower than the drw. the front you can just remove the dually spacers you dont have to change hubs. the only thing I am not sure about is if the studs on the front are the same.

·
Registered
329 Posts
converting dually rear wheel to single rear wheel and vise versa

srw axle is 4" narrower than the drw. the front you can just remove the dually spacers you dont have to change hubs. the only thing I am not sure about is if the studs on the front are the same.
Studs are the same. I did the swap. The SRW axle the spring perches are taller. Technically the ubolts will be too short...I "made" mine work (only about 75% thread engagement till I swap to longer ones). It also lifted the ass of my truck ~1" or something. The SRW bump stop pads are also different height (gap way off). My shock on the passenger side was too short and I couldn't even get it on without "flexing" the truck out. The drivers side was fully extended. They both had to be replaced for longer shocks.

If you do the swap with someone else they will have the opposite issues. Rear end will be lower, u-bolts "too long" (we ran a tap and die to clean the rusty threads beyond where they were originally used and they worked), bump stop gap way off. Shocks seemed to work.

The calipers are also different between the trucks so you have to open your brake fluid system (plan on using a tech II to bleed the EBCM). The dually calipers are bigger housings (I never measured piston size so I don't know if there's a difference there).

E-brake cables fit perfect.

I can't think of any other details.

-Dave

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Dave...what do you think would be the easiest option? Just buying the complete dually rear end? I found the adapters for the front wheels and rear wheels if I wanted a 2500 dually just for cool purposes no real hauling heavy couldn't I just put the adapters and dually wheels on?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Dave...what do you think would be the easiest option? Just buying the complete dually rear end? I found the adapters for the front wheels and rear wheels if I wanted a 2500 dually just for cool purposes no real hauling heavy couldn't I just put the adapters and dually wheels on?
Hmm. The only thing I don't know about is the rear and running adapters/spacers. It should be about a 2" wheel spacer in the rear to get the wheel mounting surface where it "Should" be, but the concern I have is IF the wheel will clear the brakes. I bet it would be really close. I am assuming if it's a "kit/adapter" for this purpose in the rear that it would clear and/or that company would know for a fact?

If you were to swap on spacers in the rear and if it worked, that would be a ton less work than swapping the rear axle assembly.

The other issue with swapping in a dually rear end would be you would sit around an 1" lower back there as well as the bump stop differences.

Where are the "adapters" for the rear end you are talking about, is it possible to get confirmation that the wheels will clear the brakes?

-Dave

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would think the spacers would be fine if installed correctly and the brakes clear the wheels as discussed. Let us know what you find out.

-Dave

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Will do. The kit isn't a bad price just need to find a dually bed...my bed is mangled anyway and has a hole from where my stack was...plus I'm not really sure how the dually fenders would go onto my bed without major body work so I figure it is just as easy to get a new bed...any sources?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The dually bed and the regular beds are totally different on the newer trucks its not just a fender anymore its the whole bed side. Dually beds are very easy to come by just go to a local place that outfits trucks with utility body's or dump bodies.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Got some news guys and wanted your input. The company got back to me and said with their kit (adapters, fenders and Eagle wheels) you would need nothing other than to paint the fenders and to buy tires. My question was how do the fenders attach on my 05 body style? Also the complete kit with wheels/no tires is $2,142.00...getting prices without wheels.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
The pics they have on their site look like you will have to graft it onto your bed.

A real dually has bolts on the front of the bedside between the cab and bed. You take those off, all the bottom braces, unbolt from the wheel tub. You also pop off the bedcap where I don't remember how they are attached I think more bolts, but the bed cap is also different than a bed cap from a non dually bed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.