Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new torque convertor. What is everyone running?

ATS

SUNCOAST single/triple

TTS

HUGHES

Precision industries VIGILANTE

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Suncoast Triple disc.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Haven't had a problem with my suncoast triple and my attitude monitor reassures that there is no slipping.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've got a Precision torque converter, seems to be great, no slippage.

I was putting a little fuel to it in 5th over the weekend. Got paced by an airplane coming over the mountains on Hwy 8 towards El Centro. The CHP was being "nice" and only wrote me for 93 in a 70 zone.

Back to traffic school I guess... but at least the torque converter wasn't slipping!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
steve you and mackin.......

suncoast for me Edited by: sdaver

·
Registered
310 Posts
Before Suncoast started building their own TCs, they used Precision Industries. You can bow down all you want, just remember who the ORIGINAL is.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Keep in mind, when you ask questions like these in a forum like this, the answer you get is based on what is popular, not necessarily what is the best. Ask how many owned a Pinto vs how many own a Viper, it doesn't mean the Pinto was better, only that they sold more of them.

I'm sure that a Suncoast is a good converter, but if all of those listed above will hold 1200ft-lbs of torque (just to pick a high number) then none of us really know which is the best TC. Unless you plan on making more than 1200ft-lbs, it might not make any difference if all of them will do what you need.

I asked a number of people in the transmission business and chose to go with the one with their OWN TC dyno and who does their own research and design.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
DTT ??% single disc torque convertor.

Mildly aggressive, civilized in towing and a decent track performer as well.

Still in the test phase, quite happy with its performance to date, will add the xtreme convertor in the next few weeks for a shakedown run

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
ATS triple lock

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
socaldmax

I think you should learn more about torque converters by research, not asking shops about who builds the best converter. 99% of transmission techs(i use this word tech very loosely) don't know how a torque converter works and the ones that do, have no idea how much different a diesel converter works. On top of that, all the diesel converters for the big three should be built different from each other because their power bands come in at different RPMs. Precision builds a great converter, it is even better within the last two weeks. I sent you a PM, you did not answer. Did your trans shop check the counterweight clearance against the mounting pads?(the little metal weights on the flexplate that can knock out a front pump if the mounting pads sit on them) I could have helped Steve.

mike

·
Registered
310 Posts
I did research. If you can't trust people in the transmission industry to tell you about torque converters, who can you trust?

Asking in a forum, from customers, will give you feedback on whether people are satisfied with their purchase, how well they think it performs, how the buying experience went, any warranty issues, etc. But I honestly don't think any of us are experts on torque converter design. Plus there always seems to be some sort of agenda, etc.

I've spoken to Joe Webb at Suncoast a number of times over the last 7 or 8 months. He's the one who told me that he used to buy Precision converters. Also a few other people who have installed and know a bit about a number of converters. You have to ask someone, and I prefer to ask those in the industry rather than people who just happen to have bought one.

So enlighten us. How many TC mfrs own their own dyno? What kind of research can a TC mfr do without one? What are the differences between a TTS, Precision, Suncoast, ATS, etc?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Suncoast Triple ....

Cause I didn't like the color of the ATS ....

That's interesting Dyno, transmission ,hmmmmm .....

Mac

·
Registered
306 Posts
socaldmax

Before you state facts you need to get them correct. Sun Coast has been building converters since 1989. I believe this is prior to the existence of Precision Industries. Sun Coast has purchased parts from Precision Industries. Sun Coast has never used Precision torque converters.I am not sure what your agenda is. By the way what products have you designed and built?

Smoop

·
Registered
429 Posts
Suncoast Triple Loc. Had the stage 3 installed last week. It's amazing the difference it makes over stock

Josh

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi Joe.

Well, I guess I misunderstood you when we spoke over the phone. I got the impression that at one time you used their converters. Were the parts you purchased from Precision used in building torque converters? I remember we discussed TCs to an extent (I'm sure barely scratching the surface of your knowledge) but enough that I felt that I could make an informed purchase. I have no agenda other than to buy the best I can afford at the best price I can get it.

Obviously I've never designed any torque converters. I think I understand how they work and what is important to look for, thanks to our conversations.

Since you ask, the products that I've (helped) design and build are only used onboard a submarine and installed behind a door that requires a Secret clearance or better. they sell in the neighborhood of $1.5M to $10M each and require a great deal of mechanical, ergonomic and electrical engineering to perform properly.

Similar to the communications systems that NASA uses, but built to bowling ball durability.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
my employees would loose the bowling ball

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
TTS Single Disc... I like the bottom-end torque..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.