Diesel Place banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i screwed up this time.....i pumped what i thought was good diesel from a storage tank,it turns out water got in the tank and ended up in my tank....WIF light lit and check engine light....i drained the tank and pumped 28.5 gallons of diesel from the gas station and put additive in my tank..i cleared the computer and drove the truck less then a 1/2 mile when the check engine light came on and then the WIF light came back on....i used the T and drained some fuel ...it looked good and the WIF light went out.....then i drove the truck 45 miles and it ran fine at 55 mph but at 45 mph the tach was at 1500 and she would buck..i gave it more throttle and it cleared up...the check engine light came back on the code is po251 injector pump metering cotrol A malfunction.. should i run this tank threw and fill it again???

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Depending on how you drained the tank, you may not have gotten all of the water out. The water will be at the very bottom of the tank. You may need to remove the tank to completely clean it out. Sounds like there is still some water in the system.

Jake

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
try some methal hydrate not to much thought just a little its like gas line antifreeze but for diesel

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,067 Posts
you never mentioned you changed the filters. if the wif light is on, filter has water

·
Registered
413 Posts
like diaric said change the filter, definitely has water in it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys...i changed the filter 2 times...I didnt drop the tank all i did was run the pump and used the T to drain the fuel in 5 gallon buckets..i am also throwing code PO370..
she runs OK on the highway but is in D-fuel mode...also no Cruise control...
i have bin using Howes Lubricator diesel treatment..it is designed to dissipate water..

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,067 Posts
most of the water dispersants just attract to the water and make it fall to the bottom of the tank as gunk. its still there and will cause tank problems later.

hopefully nothing hit the IP, a bit of water causes wear, fast

·
Registered
227 Posts
thanks guys...i changed the filter 2 times...I didnt drop the tank all i did was run the pump and used the T to drain the fuel in 5 gallon buckets..i am also throwing code PO370..
she runs OK on the highway but is in D-fuel mode...also no Cruise control...
i have bin using Howes Lubricator diesel treatment..it is designed to dissipate water..
definitely need to drop the tank. I drained mine with the pump till it stopped pumping, dropped it, and dumped 2 gallons of fuel out of it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Similar question, don't mean to hijack the thread too much. My dad just accidentally dumpped less than a quart of water in his diesel tank. He noticed and hasn't started the truck at all. What do we need to do to prevent any future problems?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.