Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CB that has I installed some time back. I’ve had it laying on the console, used velco and put on either side of the console. Nothing has worked to my satisfaction. Seems it is either in the way, or placed where I can’t see or get to the knobs for adjustments. I saw one post here where someone had installed one into the console, but it was a 2003, and the compartments on the 2003 where somewhat larger than on the 2002 I have.

I have a 2002 GMC LT CC. The console between the seats is in two parts. The compartment between the seats then the section between that and the dash that covers air vents that go through the console for the air to the back seat. That piece between the console and the dash is what I’m attempt to modify. I’ve removed the facia on it, and one of the compartment pockets, but can’t figure how to get the rest of it apart. I’m at the ‘point of no return’ and realize if I mod any further it will be a permanent ‘CB compartment place’ that I will create. I also has a set of air gauges that was installed in this same area, and I intend to put those back just below where I want the CB to go.

Anybody been there done this? Or, knows how that piece of the console comes apart. Or for that matter has suggestions on this install. BTW – the last compartment in the long overhead console, is a perfect spot for a CB external speaker. Makes quite a difference.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think you have to remove the part between the seats first. Their should be 4 screws (bolts?)in the bottom of the console. After you get that out of the way their should be 2 screws holding in the other section which you can get to through the storage pocket (where the tape deck would be) once removed. I can't remember if their are any other screws to remove but you should be able to figure it out once the other console is out of the way.

Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
jcummins,

It was HD-Nate that mounted his CB in the center console. I sent him an IM but I guess he hasn't had time to check it yet. I was wonder what I should do with mine too. I have an 04 cc D/A Sierra 2500HD on order now and I was wanting to put mine in the console as well. I measured my Cobra 29LTD Classic and then measured that cubby hole in the 04 and it looks as though it would be a tight fit. I really don't wanna get rid of a good radio that I use everyday and the only other option is to mount it under the steering wheel on the right side to the metal piece under there, but if you wanna put a brake control there that is out of the question unless you put it on the left, or buy a smaller radio to put in the cubby hole.

Anyway, it looks from his pics that he might have bought or made some kinda new plastic surround to go around his? HD-Nate if you read this please give us some insight on how you done yours. Thanks.

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/3260/219DSC00598.jpg

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/3260/219DSC00596.jpg

Edited by: GMC Cowboy Cadilliac

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had been having the same problem mounting my cb. I just couldnt find a place that would be out of the way so I decided to remove the tape deck. I tried taking apart the console but had the same problem as jcummins. Next, I used a razor blade to do some trimming on the plastic so the cb would fit into the tape deck's old spot. I have seen other ways but I am most satisfied with this because all wires are hidden and it doesnt take up any extra space.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I decided there was just no way of putting the CB in there without some customizing. I swallowed hard and ended up doing a hysterectomy to the console portion on the hump. I’m not completely finished with it. I used some wood grain panels to block it back in. Since it is rather hard (for me) to get the wood panels just right, once I get it fitting decent I’ll probably cover in a black vinyl. I’ll try and take a picture so you can see the work in progress. Thus far…I think I’ll be satisfied with what I’ve done.

·
Registered
389 Posts
here's mine, pm me for more details. mine is the 02 version. the radio is a cobra 29st, above it is my bearcat scanner.

·
Registered
235 Posts
On my last vehicle I removed the console completely and replaced it with one I fabbed out of good birch 1/2" ply. It held two radios, an open tray to hold "stuff", a closed tray with a carpeted hinged lid to hold more stuff, a long drawer out the back for more, a RAM mount carrying a laptop bolted to the side, and a 1700 watt inverter mounted beneath the drawer. All in all, it worked great and one hell of an improvement over the original. Last week I removed everything and reinstalled the original console.

I haven't figured out yet what I going to do with my new rig.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts