Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 crew cab dually and also have a 20' single car trailer and have a 36' gooseneck two car trailer. I have hauled cars all over for years. I have all the right straps and hooks to tow all vehicles. I have considered doing this for years part time. Not looking to get rich just make some money. I figured I will have to run one or two loads a month to just pay insurance and rest for profit/repairs/maintenance. I have 11k pounds plates on my truck and 16k on my trailer. I also do have class A cdl's. I am looking to see if any of you guys do this and have any info on insurance or anything else. I am looking for info on do I have to buy new plates for truck and trailer do have commercial plates for both and do I also have to have dot numbers on them. Do I have to have PM annual inspections also? Looking for the cost of what some of all this costs.
Thanks In advance.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Yes you need a DOT number. Roughly $500 year
You will need commercial insurance on truck and trailer also a bond. Roughly $1300 month.
You will need to do quarterly fuel tax for any state you drive through.
You will need annual inspections.
You will be subject to regular DOT inspections till you get a good safety record.
You will need to run a log book and account for all miles accrued on vehicle.
You will need permits for any states you operate in.
Money can be made but probably not part time.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Igo1320 has it about right.

May help if you show the home state for the truck, and you planned area of operation. Every state and province has a slightly different twist on the rules and regs. Crossing state/provincial lines put some rules under Federal jurisdiction.... But each state/province still has it's own wrinkles.

·
Registered
132 Posts
This is Florida, but I'm pretty sure it's federal too. I know FLA, GA,AL,LA,and Miss go by this. Big gal at the weigh station on I-10 in Mississippi first told me that. ImageUploadedByAG Free1433186626.756732.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
132 Posts
We just have our trucks registered at 7,500 ish pounds with regular Fla Ag tags.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Kasnsas has different rules also. Just make sure that you understand what the rules are BEFORE you enter a given state. You might be fine in state one and subject to citation/fin in another state for the exact same situation. If you don't know what the rules are, you might be paying lots of $$ in fines.

·
Gone but not forgotten member
3,455 Posts
Simple answer for part time: Don't do it! To come out ahead, you will be gone more than you want to from home, unless you stay a local hauler.

·
Registered
132 Posts
And there's no point in wearing your truck out and only making enough money to coverthe insurance and tag fees.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
hot shot

IGO1320 is about 1/2 right on some and all right on others but all are right with part time, not enough $ for part time.
Ins is not that high for 1 or 2 cars for a commercial Policy and cargo
DOT # is not $500 a year
fuel tax and IFTA depends on your registered weight , no ifta if under 26,000
There is a crap load of rules and it's nothing like it used to be so do a lot of research and assume nothing! and most of what you find on here ( I hate to say this ) is wrong or half right and EVERY STATE can be different.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am in Indiana and probably will only travel in surrounding states. I also thought the insurance figure was way high. I got a quote from progressive for 2600 a year for 1million then 100k cargo. Which seems like what uship want. I would really like to only do it one or two days a week. I dont need allot of money just play money for hobbies. Just not sure that there is not allot of expenses involved to make it.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Just for the record Uship is a big BS joke ! Nothing like real world.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Have you taken a look at what some hot shot company near your home might pay you to do some relief work for them.

Saves wear and tear on your truck, they teach the rules, they fix/service the rig, and you just cash the check.:HiHi::HiHi:

If you are semi retired like me, put your name out there, and the phone will ring. If I like the trip offered, I go, otherwise I'm just busy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts