Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am relatively new to this forum and this is my first post. We just bought a 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, 4wd, CC, LB with the Duramax/Allison. I have read the pros and cons of adding chips, secondary fuel filters and additional gauges. Both the "keep it stock" and "you need to add this equipment" folks make good points for their positions. I am a non mechanic who doe not want to be a mechanic. We bought this vehicle to tow our current TT which is 25' long and weights less than 5,000 lbs and to be able to tow up to a 33' long, 10,000 lb. TT in the future. We plan to keep this truck 15 years and will probably not put more than 10,000 or so miles on it per year.

My preference would be to leave the truck stock and increase the frequency of maintenance versus adding a seconday fuel filtering system, gauges and chip. I am have a hard time trying to decide which way to go. Is this additional equipment really necessory for performance and longivity?

Any and all comments, suggestions and recommendations will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
IMHO, I think the Secondary filter is a good insurance, the rest is all about toys (nothing wrong with them, just not needed)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Welcome to the land of confusion. Congratulations on your new truck as well.

You will find that it is hard to discern what is necessary and what isn't around here. My personal philosophy was that frequent maint intervals will get you most of the way to a long and happy life with your vehicle. It is also the amount of "abuse" that you put your truck through as to how long it will last. These trucks go through a ton of durability testing and for the customer that utilizes their truck to 100% of the "abuse scale" the truck will hypothetically last 1XX,XXX miles. If your lower on the "abuse scale" the truck will last longer. To lessen the abuse, changing the oil, filters, and general maintenance helps. Removing your right foot from the go pedal helps too. Taking it down less harsh roads helps. You start to see the point...

In short, anything you can do to lessen the wear and tear on your vehicle will help to make it last that much longer. Less wear and tear can be accomplished using additional filtration because the stock filtration is not as good as it needs to be. The truck may very well be around in 150K miles, just how strong will it be. The less the wear, the stronger the ponies. Follow religious maintanance schedules, and do what you feel is right to help your truck be as strong as possible 200K down the road. My opinion was that I need the extra filtration to get me there and be lower on the "abuse scale" and limiting damage to the ponies that I have and want to keep for a long and healthy life.

Nobody here knows if the equipment is "necessary", and GM doesn't say it is because they sell the truck without it, but it does make very logical sense after much contemplation.

As always have fun...

MN

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
oldudbob

Welcome .…

Your plan is good accelerated maintain..... But the under lying problem especially with the OEM fuel filter isn't as a whole doing an adequate job of filtering down to the desired levels of clean diesel fuel for a high pressure common rail injection .....

Test have shown that out fuel is still way above standard levels in the 5 micron on up debris for damage to occur to our system ....

Most of all diesel motors are filtering down to 2 micron .... Why GM didn't and left us with the problem is beyond me or summed up as business as usual ....

I would still recommend for longevity a secondary 2 micron filter setup ... There are some good system put together for our benifit out there .....

I'm sure you can find someone in your area to lend a hand it isn't as difficult as one would think ....

Good luck

Mac

·
Registered
85 Posts
IMHO for longevity I would:

1 Definetely add additional fuel filtration

2 change the OEM fuel filter way before GMs recommendation

3 run a good fuel additive to deal with water

4 change the oil frequently early on during break in

As for the power add ons and gauges I can't comment on pros and cons. from first hand experience but I haven't read a post yet where someone didn't want to keep added power. They may not care for a particular brand but have yet to read of someone that used added power but wanted to go back to stock

There are a number of posts from people using them while towing and enjoy the added power. It sounds like the trans. does less shifting with the added power also.

My two cents, enjoy your truck!

Mike

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I think a secondary fuel filter is mandatory.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hi oldudbob:

Welcome and best wishes with your new truck. Yes it's a bit confusing, you have a lot of choices or you can stay stock completely.

The best thing to do is to read the posts in this forum and decide. You have the gamut of people here from the ones who just want to make some minor improvements to suit their requirements to the full-fledged hobbyist that wants to have the very best. That's what's nice about the forum. You can learn a lot no matter what and decide what's best for you.

Some quick tips for a first time DA owner - Must do's:

#1 Read the owners manual. It has an enormous amount of information. It will answer most of your questions.

#2 Check all fluid levels as soon as possible. The front and rear differentials have a history of having low fluid levels from the factory.

#3 Make sure the dealer greases the front end. The front ends tend not to be greased from the factory. Most notably the idler arm. Make sure the dealer does this. The idler arm is so difficult to get to, there is a strong chance the mechanic will skip it </v:stroke></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:ulas></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shape></v:imagedata></v:shape>.

** #3 Pamper that rear differential for the first 1000 miles:
a) DO NOT tow for the first 500 miles.
b) If you start towing before 1000 miles keep it under 50 and stop every 15 min to 1/2 hour to cool down the differential.
This is in the owners manual. Take this as gospel. During break in the differential get so hot you can cook on it.
c) Change the front and rear differential fluids, for the first time, between 500 to 3000 miles. My personal thought is 1K to 2K miles. They are pretty broken in by then.

#4 Use only Diesel motor oils with the rating in your manual. DO NOT use car motor oils. The diesel is a different engine and requires a motor oil with a different additive package.

#5 Change the Allison transmission spin on filter, for the first time, at 5K miles.

&n

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'd add that if you tow add the large capacity transmission pan to increase the fluid capacity.

I'm not sure every 5k on the tranny filter is needed. It can't hurt but I think it's a little overkill.

·
Registered
444 Posts
FirstDiesel said:
I'm not sure every 5k on the tranny filter is needed. It can't hurt but I think it's a little overkill.

opps! Sorry
a typo. I meant first 5000 miles. I corrected the post.

FirstDiesel: Thanks for the catchEdited by: JohnnyO

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have done extensive reading on this forum concerning fuel filtration, but I still am wondering if someone would just make a good filter to fit in place of the factory one, wouldn't this solve the problem? Perhaps this has been addressed and I missed it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The filter is a special filter with a patent and it will be a while before there are aftermarket replacements. If the market holds true expect to see the "stock" filter actually get cheaper in construction as GM demands cost savings from Racor. This will continue until a competitive aftermarket filter is made in a premium price range.

·
Registered
288 Posts
OLDUDBOB: YOUR PLAN FOR TRUCK USE SOUNDS LIKE MINE, GOING TO PUT CAT FILTER PRE OEM K&N FILTER, FREE FLO MUFFLER THATS IT . THE CHIPS ARE NICE BUT I WANT THIS THING TO LAST A LONG TIME!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Bruce

I'd do a search on the K&N and George Morrisons opinion of it before you jump in. His oil tests show bad results from that product.

·
Registered
432 Posts
OLdudbob.......still confused????? I would guess so.

I am keeping mine stock except since I have an '01 with the older design injectors I added the Nictane pre-oem fuel filter. Your '04 probably has the same engine as the new engine is just coming out now.

There's a lot of stuff you can add to your truck, but the secondary filter will probably give you the best overall bang for your buck spent for the long term.

The rest of my money I spend on overkill maintenance, synthethic Mobil Delvac 1 oil every 5K, some can push it longer, but 5K is enough and easy to keep track of. Change to TranSynd synthetic tranny fluid at about 5-10K, once again at 50K and never worry about it for next 150K. Change the tranny spin on every 5K, some will say first 5K them 25-30K thereafter. It's cheap insurance at $9.00 per filter so I just do it when I change the oil.

All of the above is cheaper to do if you can take the time to do it yourself and none of it is difficult or requires any fancy tools. You may find it fun and you of course have the peace of mind that the work was done right when you do it yourself (hopefully LOL)

If you decide to do nothing and leave it bone stock, then above all else you will need to change the rear diff. fluid after 500-1000 miles and it's about $100 in fluids plus labor at your dealers using the GM "grape Juice" that they get an arm and a leg for, but once done you are good to go.

Again if you don't mine laying on the ground you can do this yourself, you don't even have to jack the truck up!

Enjoy the truck, you have a great machine, just needs a little TLC for an extra long life.

You also found the best forum on the net for these trucks, stick around and learn a lot and feel free to ask any question no matter what.........there's not much new happening to our trucks now and everything that comes up has come up before and that's a good thing. We seem to have a handle on what the issues are and there are no real new issues coming out of left field so far!

Noted you have 4WD and I have 2WD so you also have to change that front diff as well.

Edited by: Chevysrus

1 - 14 of 14 Posts