Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been noticing a noise that sounds like a bearing growling when I turn off the engine.The engine is completely stopped and I hear it as I'm getting out of the truck. I have combed all of the forums and a lot of people seem to hear servos or something. This is definitely not any electric motor. I think the sound is coming from the turbo but not 100% sure. It sounds like something is freewheeling and slows to a stop but not the slightest bit smooth. My truck only has 2500 miles on it and I hate to wast the dealerships time if it is a normal sound, but it sounds awful and not normal or good.:think:

·
Registered
197 Posts
mine is a 2016 too and I don't hear anything like what you describe. I would suggest going to the dealer and comparing it to another truck with either the service manager or foreman. If another new truck does it then i wouldn't worry about it. If the noise isn't in the other truck then they know what they have to look for. I have done this many times with the big trucks working at the dealers. Sometimes the trucks make noise when they shut down like the injectors cleaning themselves or a ccv winding down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mine is a 2016 too and I don't hear anything like what you describe. I would suggest going to the dealer and comparing it to another truck with either the service manager or foreman. If another new truck does it then i wouldn't worry about it. If the noise isn't in the other truck then they know what they have to look for. I have done this many times with the big trucks working at the dealers. Sometimes the trucks make noise when they shut down like the injectors cleaning themselves or a ccv winding down.
How many miles do you have on tour truck?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Is your truck stock? Mine is an '11 and it makes that growling sound also when I shut it down, I didn't notice it until I deleted. I just thought that it was because I disconnected the electrical connections for the EGR valve.

My truck runs so much better with no DPF & DEF and a 150 hp tune. I really wish it came from the factory with the powerband it has now. I'm really curious how the new L5P runs - it's supposed to be a monster 445hp and 910 tq. Just think what that would do with a tune....

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
could be it is the def tank purge going on. whenever you shut down, the def tank lines get purged back to the tank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is your truck stock? Mine is an '11 and it makes that growling sound also when I shut it down, I didn't notice it until I deleted. I just thought that it was because I disconnected the electrical connections for the EGR valve.

My truck runs so much better with no DPF & DEF and a 150 hp tune. I really wish it came from the factory with the powerband it has now. I'm really curious how the new L5P runs - it's supposed to be a monster 445hp and 910 tq. Just think what that would do with a tune....
My truck is bone stock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As i listen to it today I am convinced that the sound is coming from the turbo at shut down. I also noticed it while driving along a building and lifting off the throttle.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mine makes a sound like described too.....but I've always put it down to the viscous coupling of the cooling fan as it slows to a stop.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Turbo vane sweep?

·
Registered
138 Posts
both my 11 and 15 do the same thing. You can hear it around 1700 rpms if you listen for it, added a banks intake and it was much more pronounced. went back to stock. My 11 went to the dealer several times. apparently its normal as my 15 is the same.

·
Registered
298 Posts
What about your air filter ? Heard some vans make growling noise you describe from the factory Donaldson air filter upon shutdown .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What about your air filter ? Heard some vans make growling noise you describe from the factory Donaldson air filter upon shutdown .
Is it bad? should I get back to the dealer? My fear is it is oil starved or has a bad bearing.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
How about posting a sound clip?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have been noticing a noise that sounds like a bearing growling when I turn off the engine.The engine is completely stopped and I hear it as I'm getting out of the truck. I have combed all of the forums and a lot of people seem to hear servos or something. This is definitely not any electric motor. I think the sound is coming from the turbo but not 100% sure. It sounds like something is freewheeling and slows to a stop but not the slightest bit smooth. My truck only has 2500 miles on it and I hate to wast the dealerships time if it is a normal sound, but it sounds awful and not normal or good.:think:

Yes, I know what you are talking about. My 2012 did this more so than my 15, definitely is the turbo spinning down.

I never did take it to the dealer to have them look at it. Always concerned me as I know there were a few turbo issues on the early LML's. Traded the 12 off with 36K and never had any problems with that truck. The 15 has been a different story but was mostly due to incompetent dealer/mechanics.:mad:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Is it bad? should I get back to the dealer? My fear is it is oil starved or has a bad bearing.

You can take it to your dealer and see what they will say. Or I can look into my crystal ball for you.... Looking, Ah yes, that is what I thought.

No light, no problem.:HiHi:

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Yep, my 14' does this also.

I was pretty concerned about also and when I was having my first free service
I mentioned to my service rep. He said it was the turbo spooling down and no worries!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine sometimes has the sound of a "rumble of thunder in the distance" sound when I shut it off.. All the reading I have done attribute it to Turbo spool down with the noise being exaggerated from maybe the throttle blade being closed.. Dunno, it has done it since the day I drove it off the lot....

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 11 just started making the same noise today. Did anyone ever figure out the problem?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts