Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock tranny temp gauge usually stays glued to the 150* mark. 2 weekends ago I went up to Tahoe, traffic was somewhat heavy and I was driving like an A-hole. Temps got up to 170*-180*. When I got home I had the tranny flushed and replaced both the internal and the spin-on filters. Today I was just driving around, not smashing on it at all. I looked down and temps were at 200* maybe even 210*. By the time I got home they had receeded to about 160*-170* again. 200 is the hottest I have ever seen it get and don't know why lately it wants to get a little hotter than it has in the past. Is this something to be concerned about? Am I doing damage or am I in the danger zone? Any insight as to why the temps have been higher lately?
thanks
Jake

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Did you replace fluid with synthetic? Also how is the fluid color? When I had my stock trans it got to 200 while driving in stop and go traffic here in San Diego. After I got the SCIV and the Mike L. cooler I have yet to hit 200 and the upgraded trans run hotter than stock. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. The guy at the shop spoke to a very very reputable person who you all know and shall remain nameless prior to doing the flush, I was there. He told him that although synthetics will not hurt the tranny any, he doesnt think that you gain anything by spending the extra pennies. He said Id be fine with conventional so I went with it. He and the guy at the shop basically talked me out of going with a synthetic fluid.

Important Note: Within the last week I have developed a squeak that sounds like it is coming from the rear of the truck. It is a rotational noise and accelerates as I do. SO, I assume that it is my u-joint. I am currently trying to get my hands on a spicer1410 and will change it as soon as I do. Is it possible that this squeak is tranny related and related to the higher temps? I will know if the squeak doesnt go away after I do the u-joint.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it was not. You actually recommended a synthetic and your word is what I normally follow. However, this guy only carries Red Line and I was going to go get my own Mobil 1 and bring it to him, but he and the guy on the phone got me to do otherwise.

Mike- Do you think there is an issue here or am I ok?

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
When i installed the Suncoast I noticed it ran hotter right away...I think its cause of increased line pressure.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah but why the sudden change. The suncoast has been in for over 2 months now and for the first month and a half or more it rarely if ever got over 160*.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another update, not that anyone cares but all insight is appreciated as always.

Today temps jumped right back up to 200* so I went back to the tranny guy that did my flush and we took a closer look at things. Fluid levels were fine, maybe a hair high. We took an infared thermometer and shot various locations on the tranny, the pan, the line too the cooler and the line coming from the cooler, and the sump. All of the temperatures were pretty normal. ~150* going into the cooler, ~135* coming from the cooler and ~145* at the sump. So, I think that my gauge is screwy. We never shut the truck off while we checked these things and by the time I left the gauge read 240* easy. I'm also having problems with my fuel gauge. I guess at this point all I can do is start removing mods and bring the truck into the dealer so that they can look at my gauge cluster and hopefully determine if there is something wrong with it.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can someone help me even a little bit here? Should I plug in my Predator or my PPE and double check some engine parameter? Could someone tell me which one? I'm just scared that the gauge could be correct and that if I dont get it figured out soon I could seriously damage something. Could my programming have anything to do with it? Or could it be an electrical issue? I am going to take off all programming and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Might not be a bad idea to add a third guage (I'm guessing you only have a 2guage pillar) to measure trans temp?

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Need to put it on a scanner and see what the temps are. Do you have a deep pan? If so, was the coreect filter installed?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
is there a restriction or something in the pan when it got swapped. Allison doesn't recommend the internal filter change as often as the spin on. I'm no expert, but something is screwy. Either your gauge is wacked or something went wrong when the pan was dropped.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Probably a dumb question, but you don't have a winter cover on the grille do you?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Max i'm telling you, that is the best advertisement the DP could ever ask for. Makes me proud to be a member!!! ;)

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No winter cover, and no deep pan. Now hear this. I took all programming off of the truck and returned to stock. Then, I drove the truck maybe a total of 20 miles and the temps were exactly what they used to be. The gauge was on 150* and didnt budge. I will do more driving today to give it more time and see if the temps rise once again. So, is it possible my programming is screwing with my gauges?

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Continuation....

Driving around today. Truck returned to stock, no programming whatsoever. Tranny temps climbed back up to 240* after about 45 minutes of normal driving. Not long after I could smell something burning but did not smell like trany fluid, or oil, I've never smelt this smell before. Then DIC read HOT TRANS TEMP IDLE ENGINE and Ive got a constant chime. I got it back to the shop that did the flush. The tech hooked up a scanner, not a tech II, and checked temps, etc. Tranny was still in HOT MODE, came out of HOT MODE after about 15 minutes of idling. He is confused as am I. I left the truck with him and he's looking into it. The truck was running great when I brought it to him. All I wanted was a tranny flush. I dont know what has happened. When he did the flush he overfilled the tranny by a little bit, could this be a cause of something? He smelled it when I got it to him and it was definitely burnt. I guess no Im left to wait until he calls and see what he can figure out. This guy is no schlep either. Joe personally recommended him and he used to work at TransGo, so I assumed and am trying to still assume, that I am in good hands.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I wonder what brand of fluid they used. The '04 and '05 Allison's call for Dexron III. I'd have them dump it again, and insist on Dexron III.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Also if he finds the cause make him put in Synthetic trans fluid but like Thankful said make sure it's a Dexron III equivalent. BTW how did he do the flush?

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I dont know how he did the flush but will ask him tomorrow. One of the first questions I asked was if he used Dex III. He said that he most certainly did use DexIII and that even if he had used Dex II it would not make a difference.

Also, when hooked up to the scanner, it showed significantly lower temps than what the gauges were reading. But the temps were still high i.e. scanner said 215* and gauge said 280*.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts