Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In regard to the new exhaust modifications with the DPF and all the sensors, if you say got rid of all of that, would computer programing be able to wipe out any of the problems with doing that?

Wells

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Nobody knows, but I would imagine if it's a computer sensor that controls the settings and reads them, should be able to disable that control or fool the computer into thinking everything is running as supposed to without it actually working. It'll just take a few months, I'd say around late this summer/early fall, the DPF will be able to be removed and no codes or problems. Chris

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Jus give our memeber "Fingers" a bit of time with the new 07 LMM trucks, and all that crap will be off like a prom dress on prom night...;)

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
It all depends on how the DPF or any other sensor communicats with the ECM. From there, spoofing that signal becomes the issue. If its a regular analog signal its fairly easy to spoof with components (resistors, capacitors, etc). If its a digital signal (like class2 data, or another protocol) its a little more diffucult.

Alternately, instead of spoofing the signal, the ECM could possibly either be programmed or modified to ignore the signal (or lack therefore of) from the DPF or other exhaust sensors.

Only time will tell which is the cheapest, fastest, and easiest way, but where there's a will, there's a way. I think its pretty safe to say within a year or two we'll have a solution.

And by solution, yes, I do mean the DPF is a problem :D .

·
Registered
19 Posts
This questions probably pertains more to the LBZ, but when they block off the EGR do they reprogram the ECU to run the VGT at a more open position? By blocking off the EGR, the turbo match will be quite a bit different and won't need to run the vains as closed down. I realize that closed down vains put more air in the cylinders (to a point), but at some point I would think that the extra exhaust restriction is going to cause you loose airflow. Also, I know that EGR is much more effective in reducing EGT's than increasing airflow, so why not just reduce the amount of EGR used. Then you get more air (which means more fuel) and your EGT's don't climb as high. Just wondering if anyone has looked into that or if it just fueling and timing changes that are in all of the chips/programs.

The same question applies to the new engines... How much time will be spent re-optimising the ECU to run without a DPF and EGR?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
My computer will be sent into Westers when the truck arrives. It's still early to say what will happen with the DPF and EGR but... it probably won't be long until people start to find out! :)

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
schulte;1604301; said:
It all depends on how the DPF or any other sensor communicats with the ECM. From there, spoofing that signal becomes the issue. If its a regular analog signal its fairly easy to spoof with components (resistors, capacitors, etc). If its a digital signal (like class2 data, or another protocol) its a little more diffucult.
they are analog sensors. low reference/ground, 5 volt reference, and signal wires.

should be fairly easy to fool with a digital multimeter and a trip to radio shack.

there are actually 3 of them. A differential pressure sensor between the DPF and cat, as well as two EGT sensors.

you would want to ohm out the differential pressure sensors immediately after a "regeneration" occurs (when it cranks up the EGT's to burn off everything). The ECM calculates regeneration cycles mainly on difference in back pressure before and after the DPF. So if you ohmed out the DPS right after a regeneration occurs, you could theoretically prevent the ECM from ever doing a regeneration again because it would think the DPF is always clean......

ben

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
FYI, DPF & EGT monitoring was in the LBZ ECM programs they just never used it.........that's a good sign :).
We are already working on LMM, we were fortunate enough that someone sent us the program out of a new truck already. From what I have seen so far leaving the DPF in place is going to cause some big power cut backs due to potential overheating of the DPF.

Cheers,
Ross

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
That's good news to know the system appears to be defeatable. So once this is defeated, the power possibilities should not be limited as originally thought? I look forward to using a torch or blade to that DPF! Chris

·
Registered
127 Posts
computers

Carry a spare stock computer with you if you do fool the the computers in the new LMM-Other computers in the loop will hard wire-write a programming error and retain in memory.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Flashscan;1605749; said:
FYI, DPF & EGT monitoring was in the LBZ ECM programs they just never used it.........that's a good sign :).
We are already working on LMM, we were fortunate enough that someone sent us the program out of a new truck already. From what I have seen so far leaving the DPF in place is going to cause some big power cut backs due to potential overheating of the DPF.

Cheers,
Ross

Thats awesome news to hear you guys are already working on the LMM computers!
Heres to you guys who make insane diesel power possible...:beerchug:
CHEERS!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
banks tuner

I jsut came back from Gale Banks eng. here in Cali from picking up a tuner for my Lbz and they are defenetelly with no doubt going to get one for the Lmm they're waiting for their truck to come in in two weeks to start on it so guys go get your Lmms:D

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
My biggest problem with the DPF is that is will clog so easily in ways that a regen will not clean out. I might have to order an LMM some time this year.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have done some work on the fire engines orund me here in NY and They all have the DPF on them. I have not seen one plug up yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts