Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the turbo's name that is used in the duramax, and does anyone have a compressor map. Thanks Travis

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I think someone here has one on their site. Maybe Mackin?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Right, now I remember. I can find it.Edited by: Max Power

·
Registered
704 Posts
So can someone translate that graph into english? Or perhaps compare it against the Cummins, Powerstroke, or LLY graph.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The best way to understand a turbocharger is go get you a book by hugh macines called turbochargers. IT was written in the 80's and can be found on ebay or your local book store can get it for ya. And read it about a dozen times and you will know enough to be dangerous. :) Travis

P.S. Mackin thanks Alot

·
Registered
704 Posts
I think I have already read that book, and did not see a graph like the one above. I will go back and check again. I understand pressure and flow and how they relate on a turbo charger, but the way that is displayed in the graph confuses me.

·
Registered
704 Posts
So reading the Duramax IHI graph, I interpret it to say that it is best to keep the pressure below 36psi. Does anyone else interpret it differently?

Does the graph in any way show the maximum safe RPM? Does anyone know the maximum safe RPM?Edited by: Amric

·
Registered
962 Posts
I don't think the compressor map has anything to do with the durability, it is just based on fluid dynamics...My friends that are engineers get on my nerves, they can just look at graph then graph and tell just by the shape of the plots how the turbo will operate...weirdos.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the map has alot to do with durability. The further you are outside the effiencency range of the compressor the more heat you build and the more heat you build the more detramental it is to the compressor itself and the engine. By going to bigger charger you can move the charger back into its effiecnecy range and decrease temperature which makes for a happie charger and engine.

Travis

·
Registered
962 Posts
It maybe I guess indirectly shows durability, but that is a stretch hoss, that's like using a dynograph for your truck to show how durable the engine is...completely bass ackwards :) The compressor map is just math on paper. How the turbo is built shows durability. It is not the heat of the compressed air that kills the turbo, it is the excessive RPMS or when you experience compressor stall when you bark it. The intake charge will never get hotter than the EGTs which are based on load and Turbine section restriction which aren't even shown on a COMPRESSOR map :) Edited by: Wickedsprint

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Amric said:
So reading the Duramax IHI graph, I interpret it to say that it is best to keep the pressure below 36psi. Does anyone else interpret it differently?

Does the graph in any way show the maximum safe RPM? Does anyone know the maximum safe RPM?

IHI reccomends a max. impellar speed of 125000 RPM. The IHI turbo on a bone stock truck spins up to 113000 RPM a little above sea level with a 15000 lb load.Edited by: Bronco

·
Registered
704 Posts
The chart given above does not even go past 110000 before the turbo is well outside of it efficiency.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts