Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 01 with 68k. I am getting ready to make a trip down to Daytona for bike week and I figured this would be a good excuse to do a complete fluid change on the whole truck. I bought the truck with 64k, dealer changed oil and tranny filter, I checked front and rear diffs and transfer case for fluid but never changed. I normally just use truck for hauling my quad or street bike but sometimes (5-6 times a yr. seems its gonna be that way) tow a flat bed triple axle trailer usually lumber or block don't know weight but it sure feels heavy. I will be pulling a 16ft enclosed trailer to Daytona but other than that just normal everyday quad riding use. I just wanted some fluid recommendations (oil,tranny, diffs for the way I use my truck)before I start this task. I have access to a tranny flush machine so I will be using that but just need the right fluid. I love my truck and I want it to know I appreciate the smiles it puts on my face when I drive it. :) Thanks

·
Registered
700 Posts
I just did my '03 with the following:

Transfer Case - 2 Qts of Auto-Trak II
Rear Diff. - 4 Qts Mobil 1 75w90 (synthetic)
Front Diff. - 2 Qts Mobil 1 75w90 (synthetic)
Oil - 10 Qts Shell Rotella T 15w40 (Napa Gold Filter)
Napa Gold Fuel Filter

I take it to the dealer to have the transmission flushed at the recommended intervals. Right before I turned 100K I had the delaership flush the cooling system, the brake system, and power steering system.

-Wardster

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
diffs use 70-140 syn and the rest just put some good syn oils

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Dex III ATF in transfer case

·
Registered
241 Posts
Not from the factory they don't...
75W90 is the factory spec...

thats right, use 75w90, and be sure the ATF for the transfer case is a good synthetic like mobile1 (dex3)

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's a good idea to flush the brake system too. That's something that is easily overlooked but can make a BIG difference in brake pedal feel and stopping distance especially when towing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use Amsoil in everything but the Tranfer Case, they do not have anything for the transfer case @ this time. The truck seems to run alot smother and quieter. Seems like it picked up a few more miles to the gallon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I did some more searching and found some other helpful threads also. I let you know how everything turns out. I'm going to the dealer to get my free fuel filter!!! Got the notice the other day

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Attention skinny, Wardster, and bthurta:

As others here have tried to say. Our transfer cases in the HD’s do not use AutoTrac Fluid. Our transfer cases use regular old ATF, and synthetic is probably better, but not required.
Look on back side of transfer case for a quarter size label, stating required fluid.
Many people confuse AutoTrac 4WD with our Electronic Shift 4WD. They are not the same.
This issue has been discussed here many times. Do a search if you like

Bthura can use Amsoil Synthetic ATF, and possibly their Torque Drive.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Attention skinny, Wardster, and bthurta:

As others here have tried to say. Our transfer cases in the HD’s do not use AutoTrac Fluid. Our transfer cases use regular old ATF, and synthetic is probably better, but not required.
Look on back side of transfer case for a quarter size label, stating required fluid.
Many people confuse AutoTrac 4WD with our Electronic Shift 4WD. They are not the same.
This issue has been discussed here many times. Do a search if you like.
When I got under the truck to swap the fluid out I saw a tag on the transfer case that said to use DexIII. I must have read something wrong in the manual because I could have swore it said to use AutoTrak II. Is there an issue with using it instead of DexIII? Should I swap it out before I accumulate any more miles?

-Wardster

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Keep in Mind, that the only reason G.M. uses dex lll is because it's cheaper in the mass production of things. All other automatics have it, why change?

I had my series 1000 serviced at a true Detroit/Allison Dealer Deisel truck shop in MN.

They filled w/ Transynd w/ complete flush. By the time everything was complete, it cost around $100 more. Now I know that's expensive, but at least it was serviced by someone who sees these things everyday.

I actually watched how they "flush the system". They get a 5 gallon bucket, take off the return line, keep adding fluid at a slow rate until new fluid is in, then changed the filters, and there done. I don't know how correct they are in doing this, However, I added transynd at 35,000 and have changed spin-on filter every 10,000 miles since. At 85,000 I had a complete flush done again, and man did that fluid look like mud compared to the old. (only 50,000 miles and little pulling).

The shop is located right next to MSP International Airport. Next to this hub is a Fed Ex and U.P.S. Distibution hub. The mechanic "said" that the series 1000 was on the market for some time before installing them in G.M. trucks, and that they are in all of these "cube" vans for the said companies above.

They are about two miles away. The Fed ex and U.P.S mechanic do basic fix-it items, but anything major goes "right" to allison. The service manager there said they worked about 10 of these things. "there either to full or to empty" is what he told me caused serious issues.

The whole point of the story is, keep the allsion clean, no matter what you put into it, and the thing is virtually bullet proof.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Isn't Daytona bike week for BIKES???:confused:

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Auto-Trak II shouldn't hurt anything, it's just a waste since our transfer cases don't have any clutches like the Auto 4wd transfer cases do..

·
Registered
700 Posts
Auto-Trak II shouldn't hurt anything, it's just a waste since our transfer cases don't have any clutches like the Auto 4wd transfer cases do..
Thanks. I have to take it to the dealership anyway because of the hole in the transfer case, so it will be replaced regardless.

-Wardster

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Daytona bike week is for bikes, I will be pulling a trailer with bikes in it. Then I can drive the truck out on the beach to hang out.. You can pick up more ladies in the truck than you can on the bike!!!:ro)

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Daytona bike week is for bikes, I will be pulling a trailer with bikes in it. Then I can drive the truck out on the beach to hang out.. You can pick up more ladies in the truck than you can on the bike!!!:ro)
I meant maybe try to ride the bike to BIKEWEEK.Trailers are for boats.I've never had trouble getting a woman to ride the bike.(before the wife):cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Amsoil everything-good stuff. Have fun

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I meant maybe try to ride the bike to BIKEWEEK.Trailers are for boats.I've never had trouble getting a woman to ride the bike.(before the wife):cool:
When I leave here in Pa it is usually snowing or about 15-20 degrees not the greatest bike weather, that is why we trailer them. I never had a problems getting a woman to ride on the back either. Lets be honest there is only one seat on the bike, and why stop there when you can fill the whole the bed!!! The old saying more is better!!:naughty:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts