Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last few days ive been noticing a vibration in the steering wheel itself.The vibration is very light, and could possibly be easily missed. Seems to come into play bout 50-60mph. Im just curious if this might just be a charactertistic of the duramax(engine vibration??? but wouldnt it be at all speeds?) or if something is starting to act up...
My truck is all stock except for 285s that dealer installed, even before i started lookin at the truck...Any info???. Thanks guys i apprciate it-Adam

·
Registered
74 Posts
i have a 2002 D/A and mine started to get the same vibration at about 10,000 miles and it came down to having the tires balanced and rotated and i vabration went away hope this help you

·
Registered
105 Posts
check with your dealer, I just had mine in for a vibration in the steering wheel. My wife couldn't tell it but I'm paranoid of every little rattle since I started reading these forums. My mechanic didn't even drive it he said the steering shaft needed to be re-greased. took him bout 30 min. he took the steering shaft out greased it and smooth sailing since. Don't know if yours is the same problem but sounds close. By the way my mechanic talked like it was a common complaint but an easy fix. Just my .02 hope it helps.

·
Registered
105 Posts
By the way, any problems running the 285s. did they raise the t-bars to fit the tires. how do ya like the ride with 285s

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ill mention the steering greasing to them, when it goes thrusday fer a mirror replacement. IMy dealer is a family owned, and im pretty good friends of the family so i hope not to get a run around... As for the tires, i have no clue if they had to crank the bars to fit the tires. Ive read here that you have, but id have to ask. As for the ride, many times i feel like im riding in a cadillac....Heres a pic of the tires...

·
Registered
24 Posts
My truck started to have a slight vibration around 10,000 miles. A rotation and re-balance of the tires fixed it. I have also heard of the lack of grease in the steering shaft problem although, I though that usually was detected by a "thump" when turning the wheel, not straight-ahead driving...

sloth

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have had a vibration for the last 20,000 miles. I have had it in twice and the dealer says tires each time. I have new tires on there now and still vibrating. I have a 3500, 2002. I have learned to deal with it until I can afford new wheels.

If it is the drive shaft I will just wait for it to fall out and then fix it. I don't know what else to do. I have had the tires rotated several different place and still have the vibration.

Any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had it mentioned to me today, that it could also be a sign of driveline(unvieral) problem...or maybe a bad bearing in one of the front hubs....guess will find out come thrusday....sure hope they fix it, and dont give me a runaround...then id be pissed...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had some vibration start on the highway in my 2001 at about 70,000. Turned out to be the rear U-joint. Piece of cake to remove the driveshaft and replace it.... just be a bit more cautious than usual with the aluminum shaft ears. Don't be afraid of it... it's just that the aluminum will gall more easily if you don't press the spider out accurately. Like I said... .easy job.... remove the shaft, replace the u-joint, grease the front spline while you've got it out, all back together in an hour.

ONE BUGGER : Napa didn't have a listing on the U-joint, neither did any of my other local parts houses, so I went to Chev. That U-joint is EIGHTY NINE BUCKS retail. ($72 wholesale). Egad.

FWIW... I wouldn't call it a scientific study by any stretch, but my buddy says he's replaced (4) rear U-joints in D/A's....... his only guess was that the driveline is so straight that the joint's not being worked much. (Very little rotation) Others say that it's because there's no grease fitting.. it's supposed to be a sealed unit, etc. <shrug> Who knows?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Did my joints last, week Spicer replacement with grease fitting part number 5-160X. I had howling noise at 70MPH worse on bumps, all better now!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Going intomorrow....Will see what happens....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Dr Crane,

Did you replace will the joints and can you say how much they all cost?

My vibration is getting worse as time goes on.

My truck is like a big green vibrator. Not to offend anyone but I could not stop myself.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: Tech balanced front tires and so far the first 15 miles have been good.....
we will see what the futures holds....

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
dmaxscott said:
I have had a vibration for the last 20,000 miles. I have had it in twice and the dealer says tires each time. I have new tires on there now and still vibrating. I have a 3500, 2002. I have learned to deal with it until I can afford new wheels.

If it is the drive shaft I will just wait for it to fall out and then fix it. I don't know what else to do. I have had the tires rotated several different place and still have the vibration.

Any suggestions.

I have a STRONG feeling it's not tires/wheels ...

http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9844&KW=vibration

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Ok "Bouncing/vibrating" friends. Found this on the RV.net forum ...guys with same problem, same story, etc. This almost makes me laugh ...anyone know where sandbags are on sale? He&%, guess I'll try it before I set my truck on fire. Below is a snippet from the latest post today. I've also listed the URL if you want to read more.

------------------------
Ok , Took truck to shop today and we did what the bulletin said and put bags of sand (350 lbs.) in back of truck between tailgate and rear wheel wells. It completely stopped the vibration. The Bulletin said , "no further attempts to repair" as this is normal.
Bull! It can't be normal to have to ride around with sandbags in the truck to keep it from shaking you all over ther place! They are not even trying to fix it.

This will be the last GM truck I'll buy until they can do better!

Funny , the Fords dont do it. Its too bad , I really love my truck and hate that I just have to accept this "Frame Beaming/vibration" as normal. They said my carrier bearing was ok, funny it was trashed when I had it on the rack...? OH well , life will go on. Thanks for all your input and time...db.

------------------------------

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/14185986/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

This vibration thing sadly makes me think of the GM 6.0 piston slap problem. Been there done that too ...was the truck I had before the Duramax.

There are lots of posts on vibration/bouncing problems. It seems some problems were tire/balance related and solve many peoples problems, however there are others who have been thru 2-3 sets of wheels/tires, drivelines, u-joints, etc. with no fix. I think those that fall into this catagory may have been "sand bagged" so to speak.

IMHO, I think this is a bigger problem then people realize and GM is fully aware of it. Why else would they publish a PI directly related to "Frame Beaming/vibration" that states the vibration/hopping is considered "normal" and expect owners to haul around 350 lbs of sand in the bed? I'm a pessimist so it's all a conspiracy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
O/K flolks,

If your steering wheel "shimmys" from side to side at a particular speed (ie-between 50-60mph as an example) this is most likely a front wheel/tire balance issue.

If you feel a vibration in the seat area that is also "speed sensitive", it is most likely a rear wheel/tire balance issue.

If you feel a vibration that is constant (ie-regardless of speed), it is most likely "mechanically" caused & requires a technicians attention.

Hope this saves you folks some grief

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Loki_nine said:
O/K flolks,

If your steering wheel "shimmys" from side to side at a particular speed (ie-between 50-60mph as an example) this is most likely a front wheel/tire balance issue.

YES, mine does this.

Loki_nine said:
If you feel a vibration in the seat area that is also "speed sensitive", it is most likely a rear wheel/tire balance issue.

YES, mine does this also ...

Loki_nine said:
If you feel a vibration that is constant (ie-regardless of speed), it is most likely "mechanically" caused & requires a technicians attention.

Hope this saves you folks some grief

YES, mine does this as well.

Grief? Let's try pure HELL
This isn't some little nit picky, weekend vibration. I've had lots of vibrations over the years but nothing that wasn't fixed in a matter of a couple days.

The entire truck shakes from 45+ and have I have had more sets of different tires/wheels installed/balanced then most tire stores carry. I should probably get new lugs as many times as tires/wheels have been mounted/disounted on the truck. I might ad it's also been into the dealer for 2 days and they mis-diagnosed a rear u-joint. Nothing has change, just vibrates like he&L and no one can fix it. Everyone is just grasping at straws ...problem is, there aren't many straws left. And remember, my worn out vibrating truck has a whopping 15K on it. Oh, lots of others with the same problem so it's not a one-off problem.

3 days at Les Schwab (Local tire store chain). Tried 3-4 different sets of tires/wheels with no luck. vibratioo does not change.

2 days at dealer - checked engine, no codes, checked all motor mounts, tranny mounts, said rear u-joint was "binding" and had to order

Removed driveline myself and had checked at local driveline shop. Said there was .025" runout ...but u-joints are perfect.

Here I am today, don't know which way is up anymore but do know the truck still vibrates.
Edited by: tophog

·
Registered
38 Posts
I started the Vibe search at about 4k. The dealer put new tires on, replaced 2 of the 6 rims, greased the intermediate steering shaft.

The GM district rep came out and said it was the harmonics of my Extended cab that was doing it. Told the dealer to stop looking for the vibe because that was just the way it was. The dealer tried to move me into a crewcab. Took it out and low-and-behold... it also had the vibration!

I then changed the rear diff fluid and replaced the tranny filter. It feels better but not right. I had a '91 F-350 with an auto that developed a vibe. Had the tranny power flushed and that resolved that.

I'm at 11k now. I still feel it in the steering wheel & in the seat mostly between 70-75. Not bad at 80-85...

I also believe this truck has a bigger vibration while at a stop sign as compared to my '01.

·
Registered
122 Posts
generally, vibrations associated with particular speeds are driveline related.

I would get a second opinion on the tire/rim set-up. Have the tech rotate the tire slowly (ie-by hand) on a stand-alone type dynamic wheel balancer & check for trueness of the rim/tire assembly. A rim that is bent & woobles can be "balanced" (ie-zeroed) by placing wheel weights in the correct locations, however, this does not re-true the rim or prevent/correct the wooble, it simply stabilizes the tire/rim assembly at whatever speed the the wheel balancing machine is set to mimick, the rim/tire assembly still woobles & will vibrate at other speeds. I have seen many rims bent during the tire installation process by faulty equipment or technicians.

Another solution may be to locate a shop that can balance the tire/rim assembly right on your truck (although shops that have the equipment to do this are few & far between)

Once you have totally eliminated the wheels/tires as the cause, I would suggest you look at the possiblity of a bent shaft (including front half-shafts) or damaged joints (especailly c/v joints-which can be difficult to assess). I have also seen many front drivelines damaged from the errant tow hook hook-up.

But lets not forget one thing folks, these ARE trucks & most are modified. As an example, losing (throwing off) a 1 ounce weight on the outside rim edge of a passenger car 195/75r14 wheel, is the equivalent (at 30mph) of glueing a 30lb weight on. Translate that into truck tire terms, multiplied by "over" stock tires, aggravated by increasing the vehicle hieght (which also mis-aligns driveline aspects). etc, etc.....& well, I think we can all see were this is leading.

In short, if your going to raise your vehicle &/or install those "phat" tire/rims, your just going to have to deal with some ramifications for which there are no easy fixes. Lets face it, most equipment to repair issues such as these are designed to meet the challenges of the 'most common' real world scenarios (ie-stock) & not much else. A tire balancing machine in most facilities is not particularly suited to balancing truck tires, let alone oversized tires, nor are light truck suspensions designed to accomodate the additional hieght & wieght issues most of us subject them to, but still we do.

Best of luck

Edited by: Loki_nine

1 - 20 of 34 Posts