Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because there is so much conversation around fuel filtration, I thought I would bring this up. My brother in law bought a dmax last spring , a month after I purchase mine. The other day he tells me how it would not start. He finds there was a pinhole in the bottom of his fuel filter and it drained itself thus the engine getting no fuel. He said there was approx 10000 miles on the original filter. Anyone have a similar situation.?

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Sounds like it rusted through. Thats very very bad. He needs to run a 2nd filter and an additive like primrose.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You guys are joking right - your starting to slide down a slippery slope into lower expectations - who's problem is this the owners or the people who built the vehicle still under warrantee?? I respect both your sets of opinons on things but...

With all due respect PC he really shouldn't have to go out and buy anything! What he needs in my opinion is to have it looked at by a qualified mechanic who will give him the straight goods. He needs to push his vendor to give him a product that works as advertised. He needs to fight to make sure he got what he paid for - a truck with a good engine, a good warrantee and what should be trained techs to maintain it.

He might need to make some tough phone calls, send some harsh letters.... but he's gotta make this GMs problem or all of us will fall into a rut that we're responsible for fixing their prodcut.

It's sad when we start by saying that the owner needs to go out and buy more stuff to put on a new truck or that he has to go trouble shoot the issue. The first step is make GM do their job.... lets leave doing it ourselves and buying more parts as a last resort. Last time I checked the truck didn't come with a check list that included Required products to add under the hood and maintenance steps that included cutting things up?

Yes, he's stuck with the truck now, but I'd say work with your service manager and if he stops working for you climb on his back and don't get off of it until he resolves it to your satisfaction.

****On Edit****Wow - guess my frustrations with hearing people have fule related issues with their engines is boiling over....I feel a lot better now that i got that off my chest
....who knows, maybe after 10K Miles someone poked a hole in the filter and it's nothin? or it had it had a defect right off the bat...Edited by: EnerMax

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
EnerMax said:
With all due respect PC he really shouldn't have to go out and buy anything! What he needs in my opinion is to have it looked at by a qualified mechanic who will give him the straight goods. He needs to push his vendor to give him a product that works as advertised. He needs to fight to make sure he got what he paid for - a truck with a good engine, a good warrantee and what should be trained techs to maintain it.

It's sad when we start by saying that the owner needs to go out and buy more stuff to put on a new truck or that he has to go trouble shoot the issue. The first step is make GM do their job.... lets leave doing it ourselves and buying more parts as a last resort. Last time I checked the truck didn't come with a check list that included Required products to add under the hood and maintenance steps that included cutting things up?

I can not agree MORE!!!

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
I would suggest the fellow look to where he gets his diesel if his filter's hole was really from rust. That's bad.

Truth of the matter is he can complain and maybe get some type of warranty extension but GM isn't going to fix his fuel filtering system. They may even tell him he bought bad fuel and it’s his fault. If he doesn't plan on keeping the truck to 100k he's got less to worry about as he'll be under warranty and only out $100 ded. plus his time and inconvenience.

I guess I just have less faith in my local dealer to fix issues, especially since GM has denied warranty claims on diesel's before due to water/rust. While I disagree with their position as a non-millionaire Duramax owner I don't have the time or resources to fight them (although I’d like to) should anything happen down the line.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
If I am not mistaken there is a drain on the bottom of the filter and the owners manual states this is to drain water.

Geno

·
Registered
909 Posts
Yea, the rust assumption seems like a big leap at this point.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
EnerMax

I have fought GM/Ford/Toyota all one time each for bad trucks.

You have NO IDEA what a pain in the *ss it is. I dont have the time or the money or the energy to do it again.

It took me 3 years to get new pistons in my knocking gm silverado and they started knocking 7k from that install. I finally had to sell the truck and I lost 12k.

If a small hole is in the bottom of the filter then it can only be rust. It has 10k on it and that would be about right for a pre-rusted oem filter w/no additives.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry PC, never seen anyone diagnose a hole in a fuel filter over the internet before...nor have I had rational people TELL me how it is to fight with a manufacturer without first asking my experiences in the same..... I'll try never to disagree with your internet diagnostics again...

By the way PC can you tell me exactly where the hole is - would it be bottom side, bottom center - I thought that's where the drain was? what size is it exactly? Does it have signs of corrosion around it or is it just a clean clear hole... did he send you photo's or do you just hold your hand up to your temple to come to these amazing discoveries...... it's too bad before that last post I had given you the benefit of the doubt on most of your other posts, but people who can draw 100% conclusions with limited data are kidding themselves - you might be right, but then again you don't have the data to know....

·
Registered
26 Posts
We should not have to fight with GM for anything. The filter is supposed to catch the water. When it gets enough in it, the float switch in the bottom should trigger a light on the dash. You pull over, drain the water out and change the filter as soon as posible. At least that is what the supplement manual in the glove box says. The Duramax website talks about the water sensor in the filter also. If water gets to your engineand no light ever came on, something failed. Isn't that what warranty is all about????

1 - 12 of 12 Posts