Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been asked before but I can't find it:ro) I am contemplating turning in my 04.5 2500HD D/A for a Dulley. What I want to know is How much can I weigh going down the road with my 28' tri-axel gooseneck rated at 21000 gross. :confused: The book says combined 23500. I see some guys on here saying they are doing 30000 gross:eek:
Thanks for the input

Cosgro:D ve

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've been towing my Teton 5er for 5+ years weighing 30k combined. Initially pulled with '00 F-350 SRW but less than 1k miles/year. In '02 started full-time RVing and traded it for a '03 GMC 3500 dually and a year ago it for a '05 Chevy dually. IMHO it's a good setup if you don't mind streching the envelope. I'm limited to only one vehicle as a full-timer and MDT just don't seem to fit my needs to well.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
355 Posts
do you want to know the legal end of it?, or what you can stretch it to? as for the legal end I tagged mine for 26,000 because anything more then you have to keep up with the fuel & pay the IRS every 1/4. my 30' triaxle equipment trailer should be here in about 1-2 more weeks. & this combo unit will be put to work. truck weight 7380#'s trailer weight 7100#'s with chains, binders, winch, & other BS. that gives me a capacity of real close to 11,520#'s, unless I can bypass the scales then it will be over loaded to up to 30,000#'s.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My Alfa 5'ver's GVWR is 17,999. I usually tip the scales at just all the limits when I'm coming back from vacation. That's with a little water in each of the tanks. I suppose I'm over the limits some of the time, but not often or by much.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I know this has been asked before but I can't find it:ro) I am contemplating turning in my 04.5 2500HD D/A for a Dulley. What I want to know is How much can I weigh going down the road with my 28' tri-axel gooseneck rated at 21000 gross. :confused: The book says combined 23500. I see some guys on here saying they are doing 30000 gross:eek:
Thanks for the input

Cosgro:D ve
I don't know the answer either. I've looked but no answer. Guess it boils down to whatever you feel comfortable getting away with. http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/specifications/

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
This topic belongs in the Political&Religion forum, 'cause you all are talking crazy!!! 30,000lbs!! :eek: Crazy I tell you, just plain crazy! :cookoo:
JP

·
Registered
575 Posts
As long as you keep all the axles weights within manufacturers max GAWR ,and have tires,and rims rated for as much as the axle can handle,you can weigh whatever you want too. Your rear axle on your 2500 will be the limiting factor.With a 3500 dually,you can probably reg the truck for 13000+ and the trailer so,around 33000-34000lbs.You need to CDL A,logbook,and all the good stuff,even a medical card if your interstate.The truck rear axle pin weight is going to be the hardest thing to not exceed.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for all the replies:) Now what should the rear axel pin weight be on the DRW 3500 11400??
Thanks
Cosgr:D ve

·
Registered
272 Posts
No, 11,400 lbs is the max gross weight of the entire truck. Trailer Pin Weight should be a good bit less than Max Payload Rating to allow for other cargo. Anyway, payload ratings are on the DRW 3500 is 5,049 lbs Ext Cab 4x4 and 4,848 Crew Cab 4x4.

·
Registered
575 Posts
you just need to stay under the max GAWR for the front and rear axle on the truck.It doesnt matter of you are over the 11400,so long as your registered for it,and have the tires/wheels and axle ratings for it. It will be very hard to stay under 11400 and use the 21K trailer to its fullest.On the door sticker it lists the max weight of both axles, those are the numbers you NEED to stay under.Also you need to run the tire inflation at the numbers listed on the tag at the minimum.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
As long as you keep all the axles weights within manufacturers max GAWR ,and have tires,and rims rated for as much as the axle can handle,you can weigh whatever you want too. Your rear axle on your 2500 will be the limiting factor.With a 3500 dually,you can probably reg the truck for 13000+ and the trailer so,around 33000-34000lbs.You need to CDL A,logbook,and all the good stuff,even a medical card if your interstate.The truck rear axle pin weight is going to be the hardest thing to not exceed.
A huh, tell that to your brakes as they go up in smoke during a panic stop....:eek2:
JP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts