Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my truck new. It has 22K miles on it. I have changed the oil several times but was lazy and did not think it was necessary to check the rear diff. oil level. Finally, I checked it and it was to far down to touch with my pinky. I went to the stealer and he gave a little over 1/2 quart of the GM syn. oil. I put it in and can just barely touch the oil with my pinky. The oil is gray colored. I put some on a white back ground and used a light to see if it had reflective particles in it. Did not see any. I know I screwed up to assume that the GM factory filled it. I see no evidence of any leaks. WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?????

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I bought my truck new. It has 22K miles on it. I have changed the oil several times but was lazy and did not think it was necessary to check the rear diff. oil level. Finally, I checked it and it was to far down to touch with my pinky. I went to the stealer and he gave a little over 1/2 quart of the GM syn. oil. I put it in and can just barely touch the oil with my pinky. The oil is gray colored. I put some on a white back ground and used a light to see if it had reflective particles in it. Did not see any. I know I screwed up to assume that the GM factory filled it. I see no evidence of any leaks. WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?????
CHANGE IT! It seems like the rear differentials are coming low from the factory. I drained mine at 3000 miles and refilled with Mobil 1 75-90 synthetic gear oil. Mine was also low, it drained out 2 quarts, I refilled with just under 4 quarts.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to my stealer, it has synthetic in it from the factory..

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Change it!
Front also.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Factory fill is 75w90 synth for the rear on the LSD, 80w90 dino front.

Fine to run 75w90 synth in both, or 75w140 synth if towing heavy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
dont overfill it....

you are not supposed to be able to touch the fluid with your finger....read the service manual....Lubricant Level Inspection - Rear Drive Axle (11.5 Inch Axle)

1. <LI type=1>Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information. <LI type=1>Make sure the vehicle is level. <LI type=1>Inspect the rear axle for leaks. Repair as necessary. <LI type=1>Clean the area around the rear axle fill plug.

<LI type=1>Remove the rear axle fill plug and the seal. <LI type=1>Inspect the lubricant level.
    Specification
    The lubricant level should be between 17-21 mm (0.6-0.8 in) below the fill plug opening.
    <LI type=1>If the level is low, add lubricant until the level is between 17-21 mm (0.6-0.8 in) below the fill plug opening. Use the proper fluid. Refer to Fluid and Lubricant Recommendations in Maintenance and Lubrication. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.
    <LI type=1>Install the rear axle fill plug and gasket.
    Tighten
    Tighten the rear axle fill plug to 33 N·m (24 lb ft).
  2. Lower the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
you are not supposed to be able to touch the fluid with your finger....read the service manual....Lubricant Level Inspection - Rear Drive Axle (11.5 Inch Axle)

I have, and it says nothing about " Don't touch the Fluid with your Finger ".

Sorry.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
A Mag-Hytec and 8 qts. of oil keep my truck happy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts