Diesel Place banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6.5 friends,

I just purchased my Suburban. Reading this site is invaluable, thank you all. I decided to do the lift pump/water seperator test and low and behold, the liquid began to pour out, indicating good lift pump pressure. The fluid was clear, clear as a bell. I left it open and it kept coming, kept coming, kept coming out clear. Either I have a lot of water, or diesel fuel is pretty clear in color.

Do I need to keep draining? I stopped after a minute or so just to keep from pumping my tank out on the ground. How long should this purge take, and what will indicate to me that all water is out?

Thanks,

Veg

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Chances are you have a heavy winter blend in Idaho that has alot of #1 kerosene in it to prevent gelling of the diesel. Kerosene is pretty clear.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Diesel is clear, home heating oil #2 fuel is dyed red, same stuff. Diesel and water don't mix you should be able to tell if water is in your diesel

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
it's easy to see the color of diesel. while refueling pull the nozzle back from the tank and pump slowly. diesel is clear. when in my jerry can i can see the bottom even if it's full.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I think I may have pumped a bit of kerosene out, but I don't think it had been done for some time, and I'd imagine there is a bit of water at the start regardless.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
If you put a bottle under the line when you purge it, you can catch the diesel and see what falls to the bottom(sediment, water, ect).

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Around here, winter blend additives make our diesel green most of the time.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
ours has a greenish tint to it, as well.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Diesel here has gone from a green tint to a yellow tint:confused: I'm pretty sure down here we don't have #1 diesel.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Here it is the color of honey. I was told that was how it was supposed to look.

·
Registered
684 Posts
here in VA it's a little of a green tint to it

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Here it's got the tinge of Green.. as in the sh!tpots of money we are paying for diesel.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I get clear to tint of green. Off road diesel is red. If you get caught with off road diesel in your tank its a $499.00 a gallon fine. That term means how much your tank can hold not how much fuel you have in it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts