Diesel Place banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 2500 crewcab w/LLY and 5 speed Allison has done it twice now. Collapsed the stock air filter , the remedy is replace with a new unit but to look at the air filter when this happens it's not damp or wet and not very dirty at all but a new filter fixes the problem.I think he's been buying Fram filters and this last unit was from an auto parts store a NAPA Gold? It's happened twice in a row same each time and as mentioned the filter isn't very dirty at all. No water came in contact , conditions were dry and our 2007.5 LMM has ran on a filter atleast twice as dirty with no issues. The entire air filter intake system, everything appears clean and not restricted. Is the stock system not supplying enough air? truck is pretty much stock other than a 4" straight exhaust and a mild tuner.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I've only heard of collapsing problems with the cheaper air filters, likely because they are not built as sturdy as some of the better ones. I can only say that I've used Baldwin PA4134 for many, many years and never had a problem. You might buy one and compare with one that has failed.

Reactions: legendman

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have used Fram filters on my LLY without any issues. Is it possible the airbox is warped and doesn't allow the filter edge to be clamped tight enough?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts