Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you living in the colder/coldest regions, how about some initial impressions of the Nicktane filter. I'm considering adding one to my truck but want to make sure the cold temps. do not affect it. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
InTentsDmax said:
For those of you living in the colder/coldest regions, how about some initial impressions of the Nicktane filter. I'm considering adding one to my truck but want to make sure the cold temps. do not affect it. Thanks.

This morning I had 18 degrees on my thermometer
and have not had any issues yet.

We have been seeing temps at freezing or just below on and off for several weeks and again - NO PROBLEMO

T
NY

·
Registered
33 Posts
Calgary, Canada here, and it's been cool here for the last month. Coldest nights have been around -20 Celsius, which is just below 0 Farenheit and I've experienced no issues whatsoever with the filter. Most nights have been around the -10 to -15 range.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
That's great to hear!

·
Registered
105 Posts
We haven't made it below zero here yet, but no problems so far.

·
Registered
238 Posts
1 week of 10F or lower here. No problems at all. I plug the truck in and am running Primrose.

Jess

·
Registered
91 Posts
Any more cold weather updates???? It has been hovering around 25 degrees here for the past week now. I am now so paranoid about dirty fuel - I don't even drive her
and I don't want to put the filter on until it gets a little warmer as I do not have a heated garage.

... the waiting for warmer weather is killing me!

·
Registered
939 Posts
It was -5F last Monday when I left the office at 2pm before the windchill. No additives for the past couple of tanks either. Truck started and ran like a champ!! Sure did put out some smoke for a bit though!! Now it is in the 60's...gotta love Colorado weather!!

Bob

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just an update for anyone interested. We have had a pretty cold winter in the Mpls area (some nights close to -30). On the coldest nights I did get my truck inside. I plow snow, usually at night, and I had no problems with the nicktane. I did not use any additives because I wanted to put the kit to a "worst case scenario" test.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I went through a period of -20 to -30 F in late January that lasted for days and had no problems with any aspect of my fuel system - including my Nictane. I do not use additives and leave her parked outside with a block heater when it is stable below zero F.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Hi,

Well, it's now warming up with temps in the 30's and 40's, but we had a pretty typical Wisconsin winter. The Nictane filter has been on and untouched since installation last fall. No leaks, no drips, no problems.

I was a bit timid when it dropped to -20F+ in January, but had no issues> I did add some additive to drop gel point and increase Cetane. Hey, who want's to be stuck at -20F?? I think that any one that lives in a cold weather area will be OK, even without additives. The stations all add stuff to keep the gel point down appropriately for the region.

It's a definite "keeper"!

John B

1 - 12 of 12 Posts