Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if I am going to have any trouble starting the Dmax, I am moving to Chicago. The truck will be setting outside without the ability to be plugged in. Could be sitting outside for up to six day periods. Anyone had a Dmax too cold to start?
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mine was a little sluggish on a 0 degree day but i had jumped the gun and didn't wait for the wait to start light to go out...i doubt you will have any trouble as long as your batteries are in good shape.

·
Registered
334 Posts
i believe the owners manual states you dont need to plug it in until 20 below. you may check it. i have started mine alot at zero or a little below without incident. wil

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
How about the Guys north of the boarder, where it's -40 or -50 Deg F.
Living in the Midwest, you generally don't see <-15 Deg F, which your truck should start in, if taken care of. Cold starts never help anything, but if you got to do it, you got to do it.
To ensure cold starts <0 Deg F., you must have two good batteries, treated fuel that won't gell, and 5W40 oil, (I prefer synthetic).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Good batteries and synthetic oil have allowed me to start mine at -25 without plugging in. I usually hit the glow plugs twice before I fire it up. Make sure you use a good additive in the winter to keep from gelling the fuel and you should be fine.

Hop

·
Registered
473 Posts
Mine started last winter at -25. I usually plug it in when it is that cold, but got an urgent call and had to leave right away. I did not have synthetic oil in it. I let the wait to start light cycle 3 times before I started it. It ran a little rough at first, after a minute or so it smoothed out. I live in northern Wyoming. Most truck stops in the colder climate area blend their fuel in the winter.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Mine has started just fine. The only time it has sat out a long time without being plugged in was when I went snowmobiling and it was about -25F out. I did however set my autostart to start every three hours. As long as you don't have temps below -10F for a long period of time, you should be ok without plugging in. Although, it is nice to have it plugged in for a couple of hours before you start it when it at those temps. The engine sure makes a nasty racket when it isn't plugged in.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts