Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on my third diesel truck (2000 F-250 7.3L, 2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins, 2006 Chevy 2500 LBZ) and I have to say that the Dmax is awesome in the cold. It has been below zero here for the last 5 days with lows last few nights around -25F. At night I park my truck in a garage, but the temp in there according to my thermometer was still -10F. I started my wife's Nissan Murano this morning and it took a little while for it to start. I was worried about my truck since it is not plugged in.....but it started right up. With my last 2 trucks they would make all kinds of noises and smoke real bad when it was this cold out. They also needed to be plugged in which I have never done on this truck(not sure where the plug is-;) ). I have not done anything to the winter fuel(anti-gel, etc.) and it has been great. I start the truck and let it run for about 5 minutes. When I get in the temp is normal and I am off. I did put on the front bumper cover and it stays very warm inside. Why is the Dmax so much better than the others? I could not be happier:cool:

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
You need to run anti-gel especially as cold as it has been up there. My mother-in-law had frozen pipes it was so cold up there. You said you are running the bumper cover, the grille cover to?

I have had no issues even parked outside this last weekend and not plugged in but I have anti-gel in the tank. Truly an amazing truck!

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Yeah, I agree. That cold, you probably should be running some type of additive.

I dont go a single tank without a bottle of stanadyne this time of year.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The gas station by my office sells a bunch of diesel stuff.....what do you suggest?

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
I would say that your weather there is similar to here so the vast majority of members on this forum run either Stanadyne or Power Services. Etheir or...

Take a gander through the fluids discussion page here. Or if you like, I can move this thread there to get you better responses for all kinds of additives.

·
Registered
924 Posts
My 07 lbz takes forever to warm up unless i have my high idle on.It warms up at normally 750rpms ,and on the high idle it take 2 minutes for trany and thermo to come up at 1200rpms on the high idle.I leave my high idle on for the cold mornins for quick heat and hot seats.

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
Datdude;1576332; said:
The gas station by my office sells a bunch of diesel stuff.....what do you suggest?
I run white power service every tank. Some will say in the summer it is not as important and that is fine. I also like Howe's in the summer. I assume you are getting ULSD up there so it is even more important now.

Also, you may be getting fuel that is pre-mixed and that is even better yet.

How many miles on the sled this year? 0 here.

·
Registered
746 Posts
You are probably buying winterized fuel and don't know it. Many stations automatically switch over when the mercury falls from what I understand.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Datdude;1576246; said:
I am on my third diesel truck (2000 F-250 7.3L, 2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins, 2006 Chevy 2500 LBZ) and I have to say that the Dmax is awesome in the cold. It has been below zero here for the last 5 days with lows last few nights around -25F. At night I park my truck in a garage, but the temp in there according to my thermometer was still -10F. I started my wife's Nissan Murano this morning and it took a little while for it to start. I was worried about my truck since it is not plugged in.....but it started right up. With my last 2 trucks they would make all kinds of noises and smoke real bad when it was this cold out. They also needed to be plugged in which I have never done on this truck(not sure where the plug is-;) ). I have not done anything to the winter fuel(anti-gel, etc.) and it has been great. I start the truck and let it run for about 5 minutes. When I get in the temp is normal and I am off. I did put on the front bumper cover and it stays very warm inside. Why is the Dmax so much better than the others? I could not be happier:cool:
Do yourself a favor and most definitely start running some anti-gel because you have been EXTREMELY lucky.Obviously, you're buying winterized diesel,otherwise this post would have more expletives than Jeff Foxworthy has redneck jokes. Myself and many others here run Howes--get it at truckstops.Your cord for your block heater{which I would strongly advise plugging in} is wrapped up on your pass. side engine compartment,app.in the middle, towards the top,zip tied/taped to a harness.Cut off all the crap and you can stretch it underneath to the pass.tow hook for ease of use.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I think howes works a bit better but more expensive. Stanadyne is great if you want to spend the money.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Frozen Tundra;1576605; said:
You are probably buying winterized fuel and don't know it. Many stations automatically switch over when the mercury falls from what I understand.
Even if the fuel is winterized, I recommend adding your own additive. A lot of suppliers don't put enough in. If you put it in, you know your covered. You may have been lucky so far, but it only takes one tank to leave you stranded or sitting at home asking to borrow the wifes car because your nice expensive diesel truck wont start.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MGlickLBZ;1576418; said:
I run white power service every tank. Some will say in the summer it is not as important and that is fine. I also like Howe's in the summer. I assume you are getting ULSD up there so it is even more important now.

Also, you may be getting fuel that is pre-mixed and that is even better yet.

How many miles on the sled this year? 0 here.
MGlickLBZ,
So far I only have about 300 miles on the sled this year. Most of that has been off-trail in the U.P. so it takes a lot longer to rack up the miles. The conditions in the area we ride are epic right now and they are supposed to get some more in the next few days! The trails around here are in surprisingly good shape for the little snow we have had. There is not enough snow to create moguls, so most are nice and smooth. Every corner is as icy as a hockey rink though which makes it challenging.

Thanks for all of the input guys.....I will be filling up today and will look into the additives that are available. I think most fuel around here is "winter diesel" so that may help. The station I fill up at is also ULSD. The temps are supposed to warm up now with lows around -10F and highs around +10F.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have the grill covers and use Howes also. The coldest I saw was -9 monday night tuesday morning. never used the block heater yet. This thing starts easier than my gasser car in these temps. I`m liking this truck:p:

·
Registered
612 Posts
I must say a few of my friends have power strokes and they are amazed by how my truck starts compared to theirs. My truck starts up and runs normally until high idle kicks in every morning but we havent had nearly as cold of weather as some of you guys 0-20 degrees for about 2 weeks. I have to laugh at my one buddy that has a 7.3 power stroke that surges really bad when started and smokes like a freight train for a few minutes when it is cold out, he just stands there and shakes his head when I start mine next to it with no problems or smoke.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Um huh??

maxy;1576358; said:
My 07 lbz takes forever to warm up unless i have my high idle on.It warms up at normally 750rpms ,and on the high idle it take 2 minutes for trany and thermo to come up at 1200rpms on the high idle.I leave my high idle on for the cold mornins for quick heat and hot seats.
+

what is "your" high idle???

Adam

·
Registered
95 Posts
This past weekend my '06 LBZ gelled up running a winter blend with Power Service in the tank. Not fun! But a quick filter change and the truck was up and running.

Oh, when it gelled, I was towing a two place snowmobile trailer with sleds. I am glad I was not towing the big enclosed trailer at the time!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
stenadyne and howes are both great. power service is just kerosene people. howes and stenadyne are great lubricaters and antigel

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How much does it cost for a bottle of additive? How many tanks do you get out of an average bottle?

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
Datdude;1578605; said:
How much does it cost for a bottle of additive? How many tanks do you get out of an average bottle?
I think the last bottle of Howe's was 13-14 bucks. They say you are supposed to get 700 gallons or something like that out of a bottle but I have never gotten more than that. It isn't cetane booster so I wouldn't think that a little extra would hurt you. The key is it is a lubricator and with ULSD lacking in that dept. I think this may be the way to go.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My dads new lbz is simply amazing in cold weather!!! Last week and during the weekedn highs were in and around 0 and -2 and it started fine. Also last week was the first he took drove it to work which than sat in his terminals parking lot from sun all the way till the following sat and he said it popped right off with no winter cover on. I just wish my dodges' glow plugs would be as fast as the duramax.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts