Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know this is kind of normal, but it's been dang cold here the last week -5 low 20 for a high today. Checked my oil during lunch, was down 2 of those goofy hashmarks(around 2500 since my last change). I haven't refilled yet, so I'm not sure how much it's used(stupid dipstick setup), but for those new to diesels and in cold climates, I recommend checking your oil semi regularily.

VR

·
Registered
432 Posts
Maybe it was so cold your dipstick shrunk, like other things do in cold weather LOL ha ha ha

Hot thin oil always reads a little higher on the stick. Check it cold, then check it hot and average is where you really are. And don't read anything else into that will ya! LOL

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Rick, I've found a good "guesstimate" on the hashmarks to be about 1 pint each, so two of them would be about a quart. I typically try to fill my pan just to the top of the hash marks (checked a couple of times) on a change and will let it fluctuate between top and 2 marks (which it seems to do during operation - depending on how long it's "drained down" at the fuel dock before I check it). I'll have a good swing in levels coming up in February when I make my annual run to Florida and back (will have to take the winterfront off and on, too!)

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Victory Red said:
I recommend checking your oil semi regularily.

VR
Kinda like sex? semi-regularly?

Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have found the only way to get a accurate reading on my truck is to let it sit over night. I keep getting low readings , add oil and next day find it overfull.

·
Registered
747 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts