Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live up in Canada, im at work and last night we were leaving the rig to go to town for a while. The temperature outside was -28C, with the windchill it was more like -35C or worse. My truck has run in temps at least this cold before, not too often though. I have a hypertech programmer and it was set in level 3 - i just leave it set there mostly.

As i was leaving i noticed the CEL was on. Driving out the lease road i noticed my truck was governed to 2000 rpm and would not change out of second. I tuned off my truck, plugged in the hyper tech and cleared the codes (U0100 and P0106), restarting the truck the same thing happened, CEL light back on no gears past 2nd and no revs over 2000.

I cleared the codes again then set the truck back to level 1 - didnt help. So i put her back to stock, again nothing, she still limped.......

Anybody know whats going on?

·
Registered
706 Posts
i got a body with 06 lbz with a predator tuner on level 2 economy and his truck is doing the same thing. we changed out the fuel filter last night but the cel was still on. he is afraid to drive it. predator would not reset cel. his truck also wouldnt rev past 2000 rpm and stuck in second. no power. i will let you know if the fuel filter fixed it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, its colder here today than last night, -33C. But i just fired up the DMAX, after being plugged in for about 12 hours, waited a couple of mins and dabbed the throttle. I got her up to 2500 rpm. Im gonna let her idle for a while - i turned off the elevated idle for now - then take her for a little spin and see what happens.

·
Registered
706 Posts
ishould know in a little bit what the outcome is there is about a -30 windsheild here today. hes leaving right now for about 1hour drive i will be back.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I’m pretty sure that it is supposed to do that, it has a range inhibit feature that below cretin temperature it blocks out anything above 4th, then below another lower temperature it locks out everything above 2nd, once the temperature in the transmission gets up to where it wants, it’ll start introducing the higher gears.

·
Registered
706 Posts
good news it was the fuel filter truck runs good and cel finally shut off truck had to warm up all the way or something.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Yep, I think the fuel around here (Eau Claire, WI) hasn't gotten the full winter additive package. Gelled up like a mother today. Barely got to the station to fill up and added a double dose of PS white. Then limped and smoked to the nearest inside car wash. (warm place to melt the wax in the fuel). Was able to then get home and into a heated garage for 3 hours. All better.
jb

Oh, the Alli does do a shift inhibit until the trans warms up. Stuck in 2nd IIRC. That doesn't take long.
jb

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She is alive!!!

I guess pluuging it in for an hour and a half and letting the old girl run for half an hour just wont cut it at -30C.

I plugged the truck in over night let it run for over an hour and i got back all my gears and the full rev range. Later on yesterday we took a run into town to see if the beer was ok at the local bar (it was). The truck got us there and back, without any fuss.

I guess ive always been a little cavalier about not plugging it in - i didnt see the need, i guess she'll be getting the juice a lot more often from now on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My truck was doing the same thing. However no matter what gear I have it in or what speed Im doing if I go more then a 1/4-1/3 throttle it seems to act as if the tranny is going into limp mode. Truck is a 2002 Dur/ali with only 36,000 mi on it. No mods either. What do you think is going on?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh and the high today was right around -8, Just out side of Stillwater, MN

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess these trucks just need to be plugged in for a long time, keep that block warm, and let it run for a long time before you drive it anywhere. The warmer the engine bay gets i suppose it will transfer some heat to that tranny cooler up front, the lines run through the engine bay too, so some heat will be picked up there.

If the tranny sump temp falls below -32F then you get 1 and 2nd, less than -13F you only get 1-4th gear, and warmer than that all the gears.

So just get your block warm, run the engine for a while and go easy on it in the cold is the lesson i learned here. Not sure if that is the right lesson or not, but ill go with that untill something else f*cks up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just checked all codes and 2 DTCS were found. The first was P1093 and the second was U1000. I had both of these codes a couple months ago when it was really cold. Any ideas or suggestions???

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Where are you located? How cold was it? 1093 maybe due to gelled fuel or a dirty fuel filter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
High of -8 and lows were right around -15. Twin Cities area Minnesota. I did some more reading on this and am thinking since this didnt start until it got really cold that the fuel might have gotten gelled up. I am going to replace the fuel filter anyways an see what happens. Any threads on here about how to properly replace a fuel filter?

·
Registered
540 Posts
stewstill;1572650; said:
High of -8 and lows were right around -15. Twin Cities area Minnesota. I did some more reading on this and am thinking since this didnt start until it got really cold that the fuel might have gotten gelled up. I am going to replace the fuel filter anyways an see what happens. Any threads on here about how to properly replace a fuel filter?
Yup, replace the fuel filter.

It is pretty easy. unplug the harness from the bottom of the fuel filter. Then just unscrew the thing. I bring mine out through the top. Tight fit, but it works. It will be full of fuel, so try not to spill it out everywhere. dump fuel into can, or something. Get some channel lock and remove unit from bottom of filter. Use new o-rings and put unit on new filter. I like to fill half the filter up with some additive like diesel 911 or something to clean out the line and injectors of any gelled fuel. Place filter back onto truck and tighten, plug in harness. Open priming screw, prime till fuel comes out, re tighten screw, and start up and let her run for a bit.

Should be good to go after that. Repeat after 10,000-15,000 miles.

Jon

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
You can also buy a special WIF sensor wrench on EBay or from a vendor on this sight. I used to use channel locks until they started to round off the edges of the plastic WIF sensor. The wrench works awesome. You might want to consider this.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just came home from the dealer with the very same issue. I run anti-gel but one of the stations I filled up at Saturday must not have had the right mixture. Coming home last night on the freeway engine light came on and bam from 75 to 30 in 5 seconds and cars all around. Had to limp home for 20 miles at 30 miles per hour, bad fuel gelled up, all at the delaer to thaw out added more staydyne, had 12 oz in on saturday at fill up but still gelled. Hopefully can make it one more day before it warms up here in Minnesota.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.