Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been able to get my truck to come up to operating temps. (190?) I just movec to Alaska but had the problem in Wyoming as well. I I have a load on the truck it will get up to temp and stay there. I really don't see the temps get past 1/4 gauge. Even with the covers on running it down the highway. Could my t-stat be stuck open? Any I deas from anybody? It has not been to cold here yet. -15 is the lowest I have seen.

Thanks for the help!!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
sounds normal to me, I'm in Wi. and it takes forever to warm running down the hywy.
Being plugged in at night would probably help.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The dmax's have 2 t-stats. I suppose it's possible one could be stuck open.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I don't think so. Took my truck out on the highway last week at -34 and it took a good 15-20 mins of cruising before the temp came all the way up. In town, the guage never goes past 1/4 unless it is not much colder than freezing, and this is with the Cloudrider winter front on.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Have you guys covered the bumper holes too?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm in Wyoming and we are having a winter like we haven't seen in a long time - very cold. My grill cover is enough to warm up my truck at many degrees below zero.

·
Registered
98 Posts
winter

Try running it in 3rd for the first bit, the extra RMP's seem to heat it up faster, if you can afford the fuel. Otherwise, turn on the heated seats!!!!

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have just the grille cover on, and that seems to shorten warm up time significantly.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Agreed, with just the stock winter cover, mine warms right up to mid point on the gauge even if it is hovering around zero outside.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I also run the factory grill and bumper covers and seems to make a huge difference on my truck. especially retaining the engine heat after the truck shuts down for a couple of hours before restarting again. Last week it was about -15 here, I had the truck plugged in, both covers installed and the high idle engaged. Truck warmed up well, or better then expected. I tried the truck with and w/o high idle, yes it eats more fuel but it does work when heating the truck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

Thanks for the input folks.

·
Registered
634 Posts
jollyrogr;1589865; said:
I have just the grille cover on, and that seems to shorten warm up time significantly.
How significant?, is the difference like night and day, or just a little? My truck takes about 15 minutes to get to operating temp, and its like 12 degrees out. I really like this truck, but the only think I need to get used to is the transmission. With the cover on, will it heat up the transmission quicker, so that it shifts in all 6 gears?

After I detail the truck, I will put the cover on it.

Thank you for your input.

Pete..:)

·
Registered
220 Posts
My trans temp realy climes up with the grill cover on I have never used the bumper cover.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Jgrub75;1597097; said:
My trans temp realy climes up with the grill cover on I have never used the bumper cover.
Someone else I know said it was a big difference with the cover on too. I'm going to put mine on after I wash the truck and hopefully see a difference.

So home come you don't use the bumper cover?

Thank you for your reply.

Pete

·
Registered
846 Posts
PFlorenzano;1596621; said:
How significant?, is the difference like night and day, or just a little? My truck takes about 15 minutes to get to operating temp, and its like 12 degrees out. I really like this truck, but the only think I need to get used to is the transmission. With the cover on, will it heat up the transmission quicker, so that it shifts in all 6 gears?

After I detail the truck, I will put the cover on it.

Thank you for your input.

Pete..:)
Before I put the grill cover on, the transmission temp gauge would never move. Now it will actually warm up. When you say 15 minutes, is that idling or driving time? My truck does not seem to warm up too quick if its just idling. I usually let it idle for 5-15 minutes and then take off. Driving down the road is when it actually warms up. BTW, I have my high idle turned off.

·
Registered
634 Posts
jollyrogr;1597317; said:
Before I put the grill cover on, the transmission temp gauge would never move. Now it will actually warm up. When you say 15 minutes, is that idling or driving time? My truck does not seem to warm up too quick if its just idling. I usually let it idle for 5-15 minutes and then take off. Driving down the road is when it actually warms up. BTW, I have my high idle turned off.
When I say 15 minutes, that is driving time. I let the truck run for about two minutes before take off.

My high idle is also turned off, but I do plan on putting the winter cover on soon too see how significant the difference is.

Pete

·
Registered
220 Posts
With the winter cover on the grill the ECT will reach normal operating temp. Also my trans will get to about 150+ with it on as well. I have never used the bumpercover cause I dont want to cut off all the air getting in.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
The grill cover makes a noticeable difference Pete.

Mine's been on for a couple months now.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Jgrub75;1598034; said:
With the winter cover on the grill the ECT will reach normal operating temp. Also my trans will get to about 150+ with it on as well. I have never used the bumpercover cause I dont want to cut off all the air getting in.
X2. My trans will run around 150 with the grill cover on. The ECT will get to 200, then the t-stats will open and it will back down to 185 or so.

The quicker you can get your truck up to operating temp, the better off you will be mpg wise.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts