Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Real cold coming home from work this morning. Any idea what would cause this code?

Code:P1294Modules:ECM Description:Injector Circuit Low to High Current Transition Time Bank 2

Used the DTC lookup tool, quite handy - just copied and pasted it as it looks above.

Freeze Frame Info (except amb temp):

Ambient tems: -32 deg Celcius
Calc Load: 80%
Engine Coolant Temp: 181 Deg F
Intake Maniford Pres: 61.4 in.hg.
Engine RPM: 2560
Speed: 64mph
Intake Air Temp: 8 deg F (could have been -8 deg F) - look at post time
MAF Sensor : 044.09 lb/min

It was feeling a little hesitant but kept Edge on 2/3, knowing that likely it wont like increased performace mode in the cold.

CEL came on and sound like a ford!!!...or just Pilot injection rattle.

Pulled over, checked codes, read FF data, deleted and seemed okay. Set Edge to 0 (stock), drove it hard no codes.

Dont think the Edge really likes the cold, but was interested in interpreting what "Current Transition Time" is.

....I suppose its the voltage (?) that tells the injector to open / close, but on or off time must have been out of whack to get this code.?

Anyone with greater knowledge is welcome to enlighten me.

Thanks,

·
Registered
60 Posts
this code indicates that there is a failure in the FICM for less than one second. the second step in the diagnosis chart from the gm website tells you to change the FICM and clear the codes then drive it and see if the code resets. FICM is the silver box on the right hand valve cover with two fuel lines running into it but you probably now that.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that info. Hopefully it was just cold related and edge set a little too high. It cleared up as soon as I erased the code and has been fine for the last 1/2 day.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
I know we in Watertown NY broke the state record at -35 f last night. You guys, directly north must have had it a bit colder than that. We're only about 20 miles from the US/Ontario border.

·
Registered
60 Posts
-10c last night in north west alberta. Grande Prairie area.

Also check the wiring harness just to the drivers side of the FICM where it is tie strapped to the bracket. remove the tie strap and leave it off. the harness sometimes rubs thru at that point but I can't remember if it relates to that particular code or not.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Unit453;1603570; said:
I know we in Watertown NY broke the state record at -35 f last night. You guys, directly north must have had it a bit colder than that. We're only about 20 miles from the US/Ontario border.
Three Cheers for Global Warming...

Hip Hip Hooray
Hip Hip Hooray
Hip Hip Hooray

Well, maybe not, the overheaters might not be able to handle it.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
:funnypost
DMax in Alaska;1609716; said:
Three Cheers for Global Warming...

Hip Hip Hooray
Hip Hip Hooray
Hip Hip Hooray

Well, maybe not, the overheaters might not be able to handle it.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Holy off topic Batman.....

Thanks for the info related to my code. My wiring harness is in fine shape. Think it was a combination of really cold temps and pushing it a little too hard.

·
Registered
509 Posts
BlackMax

I going to assume you had your truck plugged in overnight. I have had the exact same thing happen when the truck has been plugged in over night and when the edge box come on with full power at the 180 engine temp. Truck not plugged in overnight and edge box comes on with no problems. I have found that starting the truck after being plugged in overnight and setting the edge box down to 0 then driving until the engine temps are up to full operating range and I can then bump the edge box back up. I dont set the error codes and no problems with the engine sounding like it wants to jump out from under the hood.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would tend to agree with that. The two times it did give me problems it was -30C or colder and I did have it plugged in. I always been leaving my edge on level 2 so that it doesnt have to learn shifting everytime I change levels. Flared shifts, etc. I hate that! :mad:

Perhaps it not a uniformly warmed engine (sensors, controls, coolant, etc) when the Edge starts delivering power even if coolant is above 170F.

...but I think if its below -25C I will be setting my Edge to lower settings just to try and eliminate Edge hiccups w/cold weather.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
the edge boxes are not to happy in the cold temps. some guys here have ti straped them to the upper rad hose or just wrapped the box with some type of blanket to keep it warmer. it got cold in ct for a couple of weeks down to 0 at night and i plugged my truck in and no problems. just my .02. good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts