Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, as a new diesel owner I would like to thank all of you experienced folks on this site for the great info you post. It seem everytime I have a question, I found the answer on this site.

Now my questions, how long do you guys warm up your engine in cold weather before driving/towing. I have been at campgrounds where those noisy Fords owners think they have to be up to full operating temps before towing. And second, does cold weather affect fuel mileage. Mine seems to have dropped @ 3-4MPG since it cold here in Michigan.

Thanks for the help.....Man I am glad I found this site!

Rusty1

·
Registered
59 Posts
At the minimum I let it idle until the volt meter quits dropping for the glow plugs. Usually it takes about 3 to 5 minutes.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Agree with gottago. I do the same thing. It will warm up faster by driving it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
RUSTY1 said:
...Now my questions, how long do you guys warm up your engine in cold weather before driving/towing. .... And second, does cold weather affect fuel mileage...

Dittos … Drive the truck to warm it up. Take it easy until the oil pressure starts to come down from the cold peaks near 100 psi. …Idling won’t get it up to operating temp and it’s not good for the engine to run it cool for long periods of time.
Regarding mileage, it’s normal for a drop in the winter. Winter-blended fuel, which is a combination of #2 and #1 Diesel. has a lower BTU content so there is less energy per gallon of winter fuel. I also notice a difference in mileage with and with out the winter cover on the grill. With the cover on the engine maintains normal operating temps and the mileage is better.

Edited by: jbplock

·
Registered
939 Posts
Pretty much echoing these guys...
I let my truck warm up for about a minute or so and then start driving it. I live just a few blocks from the highway, so I just accelerate nice and easy and drive it easy until it warms up.

My mileage also has dropped since our stations have stocked with winter fuel. I have installed my winter front (grill cover only), we'll see if there is any difference in mileage for me...would be nice!!

Bob

·
Registered
410 Posts
I will idle mine for several minutes in the cold, then drive easily for awhile. I notice in the cold it will take up to 10 miles for it to warm up good. At around 20 degrees or less i will plug her in for awhile before starting if time warrants. Congratulations on your new truck and welcome to the forum, Bob

·
Registered
490 Posts
It went down to 13 last night here. My truck was not plugged in, and it started right up this morning.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Mine started just fine at the end of deer season in the U.P. of Michigan, the truck sat for A week in the cold and when I started it for the trip home it was 2 below zero, no problems at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts