Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day it was -14 F here:eek: and I went out to start up the truck in my signature. It had not been plugged in and it hesitated just a fraction of a second. But it started right up.

As I was walking back to the house, I noticed it sounded odd. Looking around the driver's side front wheel well where the noise was emanating, oil was draining on the ground. I shut her down immediately. I discussed it with a few mechanics and they thought the oil pressure when it was so cold likely damaged the oil filter.

By the time I got back from a business trip, it had warmed up to the 20's. It started up and was only dripping a drop every couple of minutes. I got it inside and changed the filter. There was no visable damage on the outside but the center portion where it screws on looked to be deformed outward. It must have pushed the filter can and gasket back far enough to allow oil to spew.

The initial pressure does get a little high when it is cold but seems to be inline with what others have posted here, around 95. It was an AC Delco filter and I run Mobil 1 5w40. In all I had to add 1 1/2 qts after the change. The new filter was a Carquest/Wix and looked to be made of thicker material so hopefully no more issues.

Has anyone heard of or had such a problem? I have ready many posts here that people have no problems with their trucks when starting them unplugged in even colder temps. Was it just a cheap filter?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Couple of years ago, I was still running summer oil in the winter and had the same thing happen. Blew the rubber seal out of the oil filter (ac delco). Unscrewed filter and reset gasket, OK.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts