Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Racor pre oem frame rail mounted fuel filter.Yesterday morning at 6am I left for town (120 miles away) it was 31 degrees below zero. Truck was plugged in and started with no problem
. I got about 30 miles away and the truck started to chug. I knew instantly it was a fuel problem. I add 6oz of FPPF to each tank full (26gal) and have not had a lick of trouble so far. But the truck was getting worse and I was starting to picture the wife and me walking about 15 miles to the closest warm spot in 31 degrees below zero weather. Cell phones don't even work here. Then
I remembered to turn on the fuel heater that I had finally hooked up a couple weeks ago (the racor with the fuel heater attached) and in less than two minutes the chuging stopped and everything was fine. I think with a little more additive I would of still been ok but it sure made my day when I flicked that little switch and all was well.

Brrrrrr.

SteveEdited by: bigsky1

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
BigSky,

I was raised in Mammoth and graduated from Gardiner High way back in 71. That trip back and forth to Cooke in the winter was a real treat for some of the kids that went to school in Gardiner. If things are normal, you got a few more weeks of cold before it warms up to 0....!!! Keep your diesel warm! Its a long walk to Tower Jct.!!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mitchagain,

I was at little America half way between Tower and Lamar when I thought it was going to die. People from the "real world" don't know how far away from help that can be. January thaw should be a week or two away. Right now 18 degrees and 24 inches of snow. Pretty mild winter so far. Anyone I can say hi to for you?? I worked for the Park for 10 years and might know some mutual friends?

Steve

·
Banned
394 Posts
where are you from to have that kinda cold weather?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rickles04,

Montana is right. I live a mile or so just outside the Northeast Entrance to Yellowstone National Park. This Time of year the only way for me to get to "town" for groceries and supplies is to drive 52 miles though YNP.

Steve

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keystone Kid,

Livingston and Bozeman. In the Summer when the Beartooth Pass is open Billings or Cody. Jackson right now is an hour drive and then (seeing I can't take my snowmobile anymore) A 12 hour snowcoach ride then a hour long bus ride so I don't go that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts