Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to start the engine in the morning after its been plugged in all night, let it run for 10 minutes and drive a mile? If its going to take a toll on it, I would rather buy a little geo metro to drive in the winter for the short distances rather than having to start that thing and make it go that long mile so cold :rolleyes:

·
Registered
241 Posts
it shouldnt hurt anything. mine is a daily driver less than a couple miles from work, and i havent even been plugging mine in. I have noticed alot better/easier starts after pluggin in, but if you add a fuel additive and use synthetic oil,(helps against cold starts) it should fire right up, no problem.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess what scares me is the smoke when I'm going down the road. It doesn't hurt that its smoking does it? I'm completely new to the diesel game, and am loving it thus far!

·
Registered
241 Posts
smoke?? if its a stock duramax, it shouldnt smoke goin down the road especially if u plug it in and run it 10 min before leaving. Does the smoke clear up when it gets warmer? mine doesnt smoke at all, even at 10 degree start-ups, not plugged in. sounds like you may want to have this checked out, or i would anyway. These new common-rail injection systems wont hardly smoke at all at factory settings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
R u Kidding me?

I guess what scares me is the smoke when I'm going down the road. It doesn't hurt that its smoking does it? I'm completely new to the diesel game, and am loving it thus far!
Diesels are suppose to smoke(at least some)! I will tell you this, it isn't good for any motor to not get up to running temperature prior to shutting it down. Besides a motor runs more efficiently at full operating temp.:(

·
Registered
241 Posts
Diesels are suppose to smoke(at least some)! I will tell you this, it isn't good for any motor to not get up to running temperature prior to shutting it down. Besides a motor runs more efficiently at full operating temp.:(
i do agree with the temp thing, but even my 99 powerstroke with 190,000 miles doesnt smoke at all, at any temp.(much less my duramax with only 63,000 miles:eek: ) i can see it smoking if it is like below 0 but only for the first few minute(s) of start-up. however if you have some type of fuel/electronics/ecm mods, you will getsome smoke. what color is the smoke anyway?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I shouldn't say it smokes going down the road, just for the first few minutes when its started

·
Registered
241 Posts
I shouldn't say it smokes going down the road, just for the first few minutes when its started
ok, i thought you were talkin like MACK TRUCK smoke!!:lol:

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Nataniel,

I have a 03 also and live in N Western Wisconsin where it does get cold! The truck has been living outside the past 2 winters and only gets plugged in for below 0 starts, if I remember. It does smoke for about 1-3 minutes depending on the temps, but then it clears up. I havn't seen any smoke, on the road, just steam. You might want to have your injectors checked as visible smoke is one of the warning signs.

jb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts