Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<DIV>Installed the mega (kennedy) fuel filter pre about 6000 miles ago with no problems. This morning (45 degrees) the truck started up normal and after 5 or 6 seconds, the truck began to stall and died. It would not restart. I reprimed the fuel system (only a small spit of air) and closed the bleed port and pumped it another 5 or 6 times. It then started but cranked a little longer than normally. Now starts fine. Any ideas?</DIV>

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
maxinDixon said:
<div><SPAN class=450081217-14122003><FONT face=Arial size=2>Installed the mega (kennedy) fuel filter pre about 6000 miles ago with no problems. This morning (45 degrees) the truck started up normal and after 5 or 6 seconds, the truck began to stall and died. It would not restart. I reprimed the fuel system (only a small spit of air) and closed the bleed port and pumped it another 5 or 6 times. It then started but cranked a little longer than normally. Now starts fine. Any ideas?</font></span></div>
First of 45 degrees cold start ?? You gotta get out of California ....We have temps that chilly in the summer mornings ....

You problem sounds like a Air pocket plain and simple ....

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put low air pressure via a hand pump on the tank filler tube and then re-bled the system. I was amazed how much air was in that system and yet it was only the first time I had problems. I used Eric's method on the tank and it works great. Hopefully no more problems.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Get the filter below the tank level like the nictane. It will always be full and NO air. I installed mine 2 weeks ago and no air yet.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is what Nick told me as well but since I had the mega filter already being shipped...oh well, we'll see how it goes.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
If you seriously think it is better to locate way back by the tank, the Mega head will go most anywhere you put it. I doubt that it will be significantly lower physically than it is now.

By locating in the rear, there is less volume of fuel in the lines and under reduced pressure for a shorter period of time prior to entering the filter. There is MORE fuel subjected to the pressure drop across the filter though, and then when it hits the EDU, the vaporization will likely be considerably more.

The result is that you may cure your occasional no start, but you will continue to vaporize in the lines, and will likely increase the volume of air (free gasses) processed by the injection pump.

The reality is that a lift pump is likely the best thing to do. No I don't want to build a lift pump kit, nor do I need the aggravation of explaining it, and possible warranty implications, but I have set forth to develop a small, low psi lift kit to ensure complete filling of the filter housings, and maximum efficiency of the filters used regardless of the mfr...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found one more problem associated with the mega filter install. I had it hooked up pre OEM so I had removed the short line coming from the EDU to the inlet of the OEM filter (BTW if you remove this line do so in such a way you can reuse it! Its 250 bux to replace it since it is part of the entire fuel line kit only!) and routed the hose along the back side of the EDU passed the inlet of the OEM inlet port to the mega filter. Where the hose makes that bend along the EDU to the OEM filter the hose had kinked and I'm sure that is not cool. I am going to replumb this thing and try to keep the hoses below the OEM filter without high spots. Hopefully this will reduce air collection and pass the air/vapor through the system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts