Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been COLD! here in NW Ohio for the past week. -5 Last Night. Truck started just fine, was not pluged in. Running down the road under gentle accleration no problem. When I tried to accelerate to pass, engine bucked and had loss of power. Backed off and accelerated gently got back to 65. Tried to accelerate again same thing. Enigine warmed up just fine, problem continued for the 1/2 hour drive to work. Called the Dealer and he suggested fuel gelling and suggested Standyne (sp?) additive should fix the problem. Any toughts?? Worried that this might be fuel rail problem. 46K on the truck never had this problem before in the past two winters! Any suggestions on additive to stop gelling?
I still love my TRUCK!!! :)

·
Registered
735 Posts
put a additive in your tank it is gelling up

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
cemahiser;1575632; said:
It has been COLD! here in NW Ohio for the past week. -5 Last Night. Truck started just fine, was not pluged in. Running down the road under gentle accleration no problem. When I tried to accelerate to pass, engine bucked and had loss of power. Backed off and accelerated gently got back to 65. Tried to accelerate again same thing. Enigine warmed up just fine, problem continued for the 1/2 hour drive to work. Called the Dealer and he suggested fuel gelling and suggested Standyne (sp?) additive should fix the problem. Any toughts?? Worried that this might be fuel rail problem. 46K on the truck never had this problem before in the past two winters! Any suggestions on additive to stop gelling?
I still love my TRUCK!!! :)
YES---Run,don't walk to a truck stop and buy some Howes Lubricator---run it in EVERY fill year round{more dosage when it's RFC}.You're definitely gelled--change your filter ASAP also.For now though,get a hair dryer,heat gun, or a small torch and thaw out the gell in your filter--you'll be good to go. Or, get some 911 Emergency formula and pour it in your tank.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Id believe that there not winterizing fuel. My truck "i think" gelled up today. We hit -22 blow air temp. Friday when I put fuel in the truck I put 1/2 of a bottle of power service, the white stuff in it. 1 bottle should treat 300 gallons, I put 1/2 of it in my truck. Saturday night it was running kind of sluggish Didnt have much punch to it, so I put 1/2 a bottle of Howes in it. (mind you this is in what a 30 gallon tank.) Today on the way to work I let the truck warm up for pry 25 min. It had kicked off of high idle so it was warm. I figureed plenty of anti gel, and plenty of warm up to try to get some warm circulated fuel back into the tank. About 10 miles down the road lost all power, wouldnt go past 2000 rpm, check engine light on. I got 2 bottles of diesel 911 out from under my seat and dumped them in(1 bottle should treat 32 gallons, at this point im at 3/4 of a tank. Truck was still running like a dog when I got to work, woudnt run over 2000rpm and 40mph. I left it run all morning, and by the time I went out to to go to lunch, it was running fine, all the power and revvs i wanted, went to the stealer after work and pulled code p081 low rail pressure, and he cleared it. Stealer said they had over 30 durmaxes in the shop this morning. NO 6.5's (he said alot of park districts aroudn the dealer ahd 6.5's and either no problems or they werent trying to runt hem today. The stealer told me duramaxes suck for 3 reasons in the cold (and I can see why.) 1. Duramaxes dont have a lift pump, even if the fuel is just a touch thicker it has to suck that all the way from the tank and w/no lift pump (like the 6.5's had one on the frame rail) they ahve a tough time if the fuel gets just a touch thicker. 2. They suck because the 6.5's and 6.2's had a fuel heater on the filter/filter housing to warm the fuel up if it was a touch thick. 3.If you gel up, you cant put fuel in the filter and move it, get it running or get it farther off the road limp it home. These new d max filters you cant keep a squirt can or anyting in the tool box of straight #1 and suck the old stuff out, and fill the filter up w/ your squirt can and get farthe roff the road or home. Thee old ones you could fill the filter up and do that, these new one you cant. Anyone come up w/a way to combat the 3 above problems. Ive been thinking about a fass system and the dealer I talked to say a fass system woudl take care of no lift pump, he said itd pump tar out of a bucket and it woudl get gelled fuel up to and through the filter no problem. Anyone?

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Well that was certainly a mouthful--take a breath there brother.If the Dmax ''sucks'' so bad in the cold,then what, myself and others who don't have problems--we're just lucky.No,it's not that at all--it's called PM--preventive maintenance--making sure you have winterized fuel{even if that means getting your own kero},running strong doses of anti-gel,and keeping your tank as full as possible to avoid condensation.My pump is fine,I and you too have a heated filter housing,and why could'nt you unscrew your filter,dump it and put some kero in her?

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
I thought the LBZ had a heater by the fuel filter.

·
Registered
142 Posts
yes i agree with tuney pm will help the filter not to get waxed up that is why it took so long to clean it dont feel bad most people spend a hundred smacks on a filter change get a programer clear cods your self ive cleared 8 allready 17k on the clock good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts