Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was the first REAL COLD morning where I am. I pluged in the truck last night and set the timer to start about 3 hr's before I needed to go to work. WTS light stayed on for about 5 seconds and she fired right up. No problem.
Now for my question?

How long should I wait before I kick on the High Idle?

I waited untill the voltage went back to normal and it seemed to work out.

What do you guy's do?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Paul3500

you are ok with what you did. I started mine this am (without plugging it in) waited till the volts reached the normal reading and oil pressure stabilized, then hit the high idle and went back in for a coffee which just finished on the coffee maker. drank a cup and came out and hit the road and had good engine temps within a mile or two.

Engr. Bill

·
Registered
353 Posts
Geesh..It's gonna be 22 here in the morning. I will wish I had the High idle switch.

It just isn't supposed to get this cold in Ga.

Mike

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you used the block heater, You already warmed up the engine and I don't think you need to use the high idle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It is cold enough here that my 03 Duramax will cool down at regular idle speed in the parking lot even with the winter front on. Need the high idle just to keep at regular opperating temps up. It was -37'C or -35'F here a couple days ago. I am very impressed that it started right up when I forgot to plug in. I guess this is why synthetic fluids are made!!!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Bill,

It sure was nice having heat when I left the drive way as apposed to waiting till I got to the river

Thanks again for the help with the High Idle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts