Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2500 HD SILVERADO has 80,000 km(approx 48000 m).Yesterday,at the suggestion of a mechanic at an Allison dealer i drained my trannyby removing the plug,removed and replaced the filter and clean magnet and replaced it with TranSyn.I measured the exact amount of oil that came out of the pan and filter and replaced the same amount,using a funnel and the dipstick opening.The level looked ok.

This morning,reading the owner manual i read the instructions for cold/hot check.The cold check procedure says the level should be within the cold check band--yet,prior to any startup , after checking 3-4 times the dipstick still reads oil ABOVE THE HOT CHECK MARK.

HAVE I DONE SOMETHING WRONG?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think you will have to run the engine, and maybe drive the vehicle and bring it up to temp. to get the fluid circulated, if you haven't already done this. This should bring the fluid level to the correct place when you check it cold. I always check it hot, to get the most accurate reading.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks melat66---it's exactly as you said.i realized--after reading the manual again AFTER i had posted that this was the case.

I appreciate your reply

1 - 3 of 3 Posts