Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<H1>Info - Use of Synthetic Front Axle Lubricant for 4WD Vehcles Sold in Cold Weather Climates #03-04-19-001 - (02/11/2003)</H1></TABLE>Use of Synthetic Front Axle Lubricant for 4WD Vehicles Sold in Cold Weather Climates

2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500, Silverado 1500HD, 2500, 3500, Suburban 2500

2002-2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD, 2500, 3500, Yukon XL 2500

with Four-Wheel Drive and 9.25" Front Axle Assemblies

<H4>Important</H4>

This bulletin is intended for vehicles sold in very cold weather climates, especially those in Alaska and certain regions of Canada.

Front axles in the above listed vehicles are manufactured with mineral-oil base axle fluid. Because of the 9.25" front axle assembly's internal design characteristics, there may be insufficient lubrication flow at very low ambient temperatures (-24°C (-12°F) or below). This may contribute to premature pinion bearing wear if a vehicle is driven extensively in very low ambient temperatures.

New vehicles that are expected to operate extensively in 4WD in temperatures below -24°C (-12°F) should have their front axle fluid drained and refilled with synthetic axle lubricant during PDI or before delivery to the first retail customer. Follow the Front Drive Axle Lubricant Replacement procedure found in the Service Manual (SI Document ID #673354). It is not necessary to flush the front axle assembly. Use Synthetic Axle Lubricant, P/N 12378261 (Canadian P/N 10953455). Approximate fluid capacity is 1.73L (1.83 qts)*.

*This information is not currently in the Owner's Manual. Please provide a copy of this bulletin to customers for future reference.

For vehicles that have the axle lubricant changed, the front axle vent hose connector assembly will need to be inspected. If the vent hose connector is black in color, it will also need to be changed so that the O-ring seal is compatible with the synthetic lubricant. Install vent connector, P/N 12479296. Follow the Front Drive Axle Vent Hose Connector Replacement procedure in the Service Manual (SI Document ID #843184).

<H4>Important</H4>

Front axle assemblies with a vent hose connector assembly that is white in color do not need to be changed.

<A name=ss1-1239721><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1239721&psdid=271&evc=sm#ss1-1239721" target="_blank">
<H5>Parts Information</A></H5>
<TABLE width="100%" border=1>
<T>
<TR>
<TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>

Part Number</TH>

Description</TH>

Qty</TH></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=center align=middle>

(Canadian P/N 10953455)</TD>

Oil, Synthetic Gear</TD>

2</TD></TR>
<TR>

12479296</TD>

Connector, Axle Vent</TD>

1</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Eric:

If you would, what are the refill capacities of the front and rear diffs on the 2500HD?

Thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts
Eric, how can one tell if the front differential fluid was changed over to synthetic before delivery? I have not been able to find anything in the paperwork from the dealer that it was switched. You can see what I have for a truck in the sig, and I haven't looked to see if the vent cap is white or not. Edited by: Darin Billing

·
Registered
51 Posts
The dealer refused to change mine, even when I complained of excessive front diff noise. They gave me BS about Michigan not being a cold climate. They also told me that all of the front diffs make excessive noise. In fact they would not even test drive my truck.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Lubricate new O-ring
Torque to 18 ft lbs with 24mm deep socket, (15/16 inch deep will work) , with 6 or 9 inch extention

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just changed mine this weekend and was short on fluid. My front took 2 quarts and 1/3 cup and my rear took 4.5 quarts. That would of left me 1 quart short. Do yourself a favor and get and extra quart. I was lucky and only drained the front first to then realize I was short and didn't have enough to do the back. Off to autozone for mobil-1 I went. 45 dollars later we were filled and happy. If I had that extra quart I would of saved 2 hours of drive time to autozone and some grub to eat.

This weekend I got new fluids in rear, front axles, allison deep pan installed and new sysn in that as well. Oild change, and filter change, sysn there also since it is very very cold here, and fuel filter change.

Most products purchased for dmaxallitech, at great prices and great service.

I am a very happy camper at this point. And careful smelling the grape juice from GM, it will get you good and damn that stinks badly.

·
Registered
398 Posts
dmaxscott said:
I am a very happy camper at this point. And careful smelling the grape juice from GM, it will get you good and damn that stinks badly.

Wonder who decided to call it grape juice, it smells nothing like any grape juice I've ever smelt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts