Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a problem with any open-element intake setups sucking in rain/snow? I am thinking about modifying the stock airbox and putting a K&N in for now. Later, I'll probably go with an aFe.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Stringer

I have a uni foam on a K N air tube and was in some fairly heavy rain. Looked at it when I got home and the sock had sighns of water but did not notice any difference in the way truck ran and no steam out the exaust. Rain lasted maybe 10 miles an I was running 60 to 70 in it. hope this helps.

Geno

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Let me ask a question. Wouldn't a foam filter act like a sponge and pick up moister from the air and retain it? If so; wouldn't it become a partial air restrictor? I keep hearing all kinds of storys about foam and since i have had no experience with them i don't know. thanks

mike

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Humidity wouldn't absorb ..... These Couch Cushions are well oiled ....Pouring a cup of water over it ,it would roll off like water on a Ducks back ....

I've been running the AFE with a nylon wrap and water also rolls off like I mentioned above about the Oily Couch Cushion style ....

Paper is anouther story ....

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mike L. said:
Wouldn't a foam filter act like a sponge and pick up moister from the air and retain it?

It wouldn't retain water for long. One good tromp on the throttle, and into the intake it goes,,,,WHOOSH

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Stringer-

I have the aFE and was surprised at how much sh*te gets onto the filter and box through the headlight / grille.

If I would have known, I would have bought a sock and/or put something in the open front of the aFE box to prevent this from happening. I'm not having a cow about it, but it just doesn't look good at all.

I think it came from following trucks on the interstate in really sloppy conditions, but there's not much that can be done about that.

hehehe maybe I should jam a big UNI filter in the front of the airbox.
Edited by: nwpadmax

1 - 6 of 6 Posts