Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been prowling around for a while looking at different solutions for increasing the amount of air getting to my engines, including this thread here:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36285&highlight=intake+mod

I don't really have the time right now to completely fab up something like that, but in the thread it was suggested to find a dual snorkel intake of an old muscle car. In my search for something like that, I came across this, and thought you guys might be interested.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/spectre-air-intake-kits-vintage-muscle-car/p2032051.jcwx

They have two different ones on there, I personally like the dual cold air tubes for my 6.2, but the other looks pretty sweet too... and I've got a couple SBC powered vehicles around too ;). Any thoughts on these? I know it's $200 bucks, but it sure looks nice! How do you guys think they would work out?

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
10,083 Posts
Trouble with air cleaner off of something else than a 6.2 is the size of the hole in the base of the air cleaner that sits on top of the intake.

Best bet is to save your pennies for a 6.5 turbo setup to throw on it.

For what you would pay for that setup JC Whitney has you would be halfway to what 6.5 turbo setups are going for.

Here is a thread to get your gears turning :D
I have seen this truck in the flesh and it sounds awesome

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431460&page=9

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eventually I plan to turbo it, but right now, I just don't have the funds. I haven't found the scrap yards around here to be very helpful in the cheap parts department, but I do try to look around once in a while. I would also like to swap in a NV4500 tranny, but again, that will have to wait until I can scrape it up. I just thought that was a cool, clean looking intake, that might help out in the air delivery department.

Speaking of the hole, is it not the same 5 1/8" or whatever size that most every other GM with a top mount air cleaner is? I've had my air cleaner off, but just didn't think to measure it.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Speaking of the hole, is it not the same 5 1/8" or whatever size that most every other GM with a top mount air cleaner is?
Nope, 6.2's and 6.5's NA have a huge opening compared to a gasser. The non soot jockey's are 5 1/8, we run em a little bigger at near 6in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Good to know, thanks.

On a side note to the turbo thing, I have heard you run into issues with your A/C when you mount up a turbo setup off a 6.5. My suburban is the only one of my three vehicles that has working air, so I don't want to give that up, haha. I know it can be worked around, but I was wondering if anyone had used one of the center mount turbo setups on one of these style of trucks, and if that helped with clearance issues, or if it was even more issues?

·
Premium Member
5,971 Posts
Go with a Banks then. No clearance issues with A/C.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Ya but the problem is Banks stuff doesn't just doesn't wind up dang near free like the 6.5 stuff

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Ya but the problem is Banks stuff doesn't just doesn't wind up dang near free like the 6.5 stuff
And you can put an even bigger turbo on the 6.5 setup :p

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
10,083 Posts
Landmine you been drinking? Your gonna gonna a ticket for CUUI (Computer use under the influence)

Is that "C" supposed to be a "A" ?

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
10,083 Posts
And you can put an even bigger turbo on the 6.5 setup :p
You can't put a bigger turbo on a Banks manifold? News to me, I thought the turbonator guys brought a Banks manifold and were gonna do some experimenting?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
10,083 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
What is the "A" setup?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I never saw that stuff, it looks at least to be the same idea. Does anybody have some good pictures of the ATS parts?

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
10,083 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Here's a picture of the CTS parts that I got from a guy in Canada.

Auto part Exhaust manifold

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.