Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im startin to fab up a gooder intake setup. Just curious what you other guys are running/ideas..I would like to run a real nice big pipe and a cone filter without suckin up engine heat...if possible..

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Do you have a welder?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
heres a temp mockup from a piece I had layin around...I was thinkin of going under battery tray for the cold air...

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I like it. I would turn it 180 deg. and run it through the hood with a homemade fiberglass scoop to keep out the rain.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Ram air through the hood should lead to desirable results. It's only a little transition to the hood from the turbo inlet, maybe six to eight inches. So it would require a smaller piece than you showed previously. I would build a light weight shroud out of sheetmetal and attach it between the fenderwall and engine with metal brackets/braces.Edited by: quantum mechanic

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Under the fender is low, above the hood makes low water crossings possible. Your going to need to shroud the filter cone to keep crud from coating your filter media. Maybe it's just me, my trucks are k3500 and mud is what you drive through to come and go. I'll go ahead and make the through the hood version and post the pictures for all to see. Other people might like the Idea and want the same for their trucks. Then you can have a good laugh.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry QM, I didnt mean to step on your toes. I honestly thought you were kidding or mocking me.
Anywho I was doing some reconnoitering tonight and I think I can mount that same filter under the battery tray. It will require cutting part of it, eliminating the two bottom bolts to be able to fit the pipe(another 90 just under the one in the pic). Im gonna wait untill I get a spare tray at a junkyard for obvious reasons to try it out. I have yet to see a different intake for our trucks so im just throwin stuff out there.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
No problem,

If your going to move the battery, is the space you free up by removing the airbox enough to tack in a battery tray? Maybe cut a recess in the wheelwell to fit it, Or do you have other plans?Edited by: quantum mechanic

·
Registered
11 Posts
anybody (most likely the 4WD guys) run a snorkle like on diesel Land Rovers? You get cold air and water intake is not a factor. Don't know if anybody makes one specifically for Chevy, but they could easily be adapted or locally fabbed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Basically what id like to do is cheap cold air without a snorkel or cutting anything up. Looks like ill have to modify the b.tray but you wont notice it unless you take the battery out and look under there. It will look just like the pic above with another 90 facing the fender and going under the battery. The tray will stay in the same spot. I also took out the little snorkel in front of the battery which the stock setup sucks from. The new filter will hopefully suck from the same hole in the core support. If it looks like it will still get some hot air I might throw a piece of sheet metal in to close off any gaps. The HP might be minimal on this tim allen part but god [email protected] does it sound good when I let off the gas....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts