Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is the better solution for a street driven truck with a few 4wd launches here and there? Obviously the SD sleeves are about $150 and the Cognito Tie Rod kit is about $350.
Thanks,
ac
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
avc8130;1584993; said:
Which is the better solution for a street driven truck with a few 4wd launches here and there? Obviously the SD sleeves are about $150 and the Cognito Tie Rod kit is about $350.
Thanks,
ac
Hands down Cognito!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,606 Posts
SD sleeves and Cognito braces and it won't cost you much more if any then Cognito Tie Rods, but it will be stronger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,137 Posts
i would go with the cognito tierods that is my next steering upgrade
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
I personally would go with the Cognito, Fabtech, etc. with the larger ends. Many people have broken tie rods with sleeves because they break at the end of the tie rod. The sleeves are a great product and they will keep them from bending but it does nothing to protect the end. My $.02.

DMAXBOB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,376 Posts
DMAXBOB;1585260; said:
I personally would go with the Cognito, Fabtech, etc. with the larger ends. Many people have broken tie rods with sleeves because they break at the end of the tie rod. The sleeves are a great product and they will keep them from bending but it does nothing to protect the end. My $.02.

DMAXBOB
:iamwithst look in my garage for carnage. i am going to try the cognito tie rods next:exactly:. i dont know much about the teflon bushing they have. looks to me that thing would wear out pretty quick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,971 Posts
Diesel-N-Dust said:
bulletproofsteering

Lots of people make these kits, I have more links if anyone wants to see them

Seems like alot of measuring to do and for an inexperienced person that can be tough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,971 Posts
avc8130;1584993; said:
Which is the better solution for a street driven truck with a few 4wd launches here and there? Obviously the SD sleeves are about $150 and the Cognito Tie Rod kit is about $350.
Thanks,
ac
I don't think you can go wrong with either or mixing and matching like was stated in another post. I think that anything you do with regards to the front end will improve it and help out with launches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,157 Posts
I looked at some from bulletproofsteering before getting the Cognito setup. I didn't feel like doing all the measuring (which if I screwed up I'd have to eat the cost and parts) and I think you have to drill the knuckle for these (I could be wrong though). I just wanted something to bolt right up and be on my way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
I believe the sleeves have served very well on all the top drag racing and pulling trucks IIRC. Maybe some are harder on there trucks them them. By the way. The fabtech can and will still bend at the threads. Some of us are well awear of how the hiem joints do with constaint road grit and grime pelting them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
633 Posts
The problem with the bulletproof and blitzk t-rods assys is that the rod is a "bent" design. When doing an alignment, the tech needs to turn the rods one full revolution to keep the "bent" in the proper location. This does not allow for a precise adjustment for alignment.

The straight tie rod design, like Cognito, allows for perfect adjustment of the tie-rods during the setting of alignment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,376 Posts
Super Diesel;1586523; said:
Some of us are well awear of how the hiem joints do with constaint road grit and grime pelting them.
this is a good point. i personally dont believe the bushing in the heims is going to last long either. however, i did find some steering heims with an alamite/zerk in them. any thoughts?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
735 Posts
nelsduramax;1586531; said:
The problem with the bulletproof and blitzk t-rods assys is that the rod is a "bent" design. When doing an alignment, the tech needs to turn the rods one full revolution to keep the "bent" in the proper location. This does not allow for a precise adjustment for alignment.
Not True. If you remove the rod from the knuckle or center-link the mechanic can spin the heim joint a 1/2 turn.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
735 Posts
myojunk;1586609; said:
this is a good point. i personally dont believe the bushing in the heims is going to last long either. however, i did find some steering heims with an alamite/zerk in them. any thoughts?
My last set of heims lasted a long time. The trick is to keep them clean.

greasing them or oiling them only attracts more dirt, so it's better to keep them dry and clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
633 Posts
Diesel-N-Dust;1588161; said:
Not True. If you remove the rod from the knuckle or center-link the mechanic can spin the heim joint a 1/2 turn.
I guess "1/2 turn" is close enough for alignment?

In regards to oiling, what about using a dry lubricant, like graphite. The lubricant for door locks is graphite which is carried by a liquid which evaporates leaving just the dry graphite (like pencil lead). Would that be a good lubricant for heims?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
735 Posts
Nels, 1/2 turn equals about a 1/16th of an inch. It is not even worth arguing about. Believe me, No alighnment tech on the face of this earth will take the time to get your truck that close.

Graphite sounds like a good idea, I have thought of it before.

Btw to the others who are unsure about heimed ends. They come in many different strengths. some have a teflon insert some have a brass insert some are chromoly some are stainless steel. In the site I posted above it shows the shear strength of the heimed rod ends. the ones I put on my truck are rated for 70k! I seriously doubt I will break them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,376 Posts
Diesel-N-Dust;1588168; said:
greasing them or oiling them only attracts more dirt
the dirt is only stuck to the grease on the outside of the joint. i would think that if you grease them pretty often that it would keep the dirt pushed out of the heim. but thats just my thinking. these heims that i have found are used for steering on dirt track race cars.

how long have you had the heims on your truck??

and thanks for sharing the information with us!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,606 Posts
myojunk;1588964; said:
the dirt is only stuck to the grease on the outside of the joint. i would think that if you grease them pretty often that it would keep the dirt pushed out of the heim. but thats just my thinking. these heims that i have found are used for steering on dirt track race cars.

how long have you had the heims on your truck??

and thanks for sharing the information with us!
Only if you where greasing it with a zerk would it push the dirt out and you would have to hit it a lot if your trucks not a street queen. Remington makes a good Teflon aerosol can that dries all the way and Cat has a graphite aerosol that dries too. We use the Cat stuff on our equipment and it has cut down on ware a lot on areas that attract dirt when greased.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,376 Posts
dozerboy;1589286; said:
Only if you where greasing it with a zerk would it push the dirt out and you would have to hit it a lot if your trucks not a street queen. Remington makes a good Teflon aerosol can that dries all the way and Cat has a graphite aerosol that dries too. We use the Cat stuff on our equipment and it has cut down on ware a lot on areas that attract dirt when greased.
well its definatly not a street queen. it usually is pretty dirty underneath. can you get a part number off the Cat stuff? surely theres a part number somewhere on it. i could prolly round some of that stuff up here local.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top