Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got some pump codes with SES light on at the time the codes were set.

Engine seemed to go into limp mode, or maybe just ran like crap. Not sure what limp mode does exactly. No power and sounds like it's sputtering somewhat under heavy acceleration.

Runs normal now except codes will not clear. Engine light does not come on any more.

I have tried disconnecting batteries and the codes still remain when the batteries are reconnected without starting engine.

Codes are 17, 18, 34, 35.

I unplugged something on the pump passenger side and code 34 was added to the list. Before that 34 was not set.

Pump time or wiring?

This is the original pump. 1995 6.5TD vin S.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

I guess I just did not wait long enough for codes to clear.

Now the codes are reset and code 12 has returned.

When I had this problem I had just changed the fuel filter.

Could the problem be caused by air or trash in fuel. I did not bleed the filter when I changed it, mainly because I did not want to spilll fuel on the ground. It seemed to start and run fine so I thought it was not necessary. After idleing about five minutes and driving about ten miles the problem occured.

Now it seems to be OK.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I did not bleed the filter when I changed it, mainly because I did not want to spilll fuel on the ground. It seemed to start and run fine so I thought it was not necessary. After idleing about five minutes and driving about ten miles the problem occured.
:badidea:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well,

I am pretty sure there is no air in it now and the codes 17, 18 and 35 did return.

I have actually changed filters many times without purging the air out and once the engine died while ideling but cranked up again right after putting in new filter. This might have been when my lift pump was going out.

This is the first time I have seen the codes. So I believe that it's something else.

I have always drained it into a bottle before and after changing a filter. But to tell the truth it was a few years before I even knew the valve on top of the filter was there.

Seems that there is some noise filter that is supposed to cure some wiring problem on some vehicles that get these codes. Could this be it maybe. Anyone installed this filter device?

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
The 17 and 18 are most likely optic sensor, but the 35 with it sounds like pump death. If it's the origanal 5067 like you sya then it has served it's purpose and done you well.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I think it has done well!

By the way what would cause it to run great if the pump is really bad. It almost seems like there is something else going on with these older pumps besides mechanical problems.

Almost like it would be a simple electronic component. Although I can't say at this point if it's heat related.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts