Diesel Place banner

Codes not listed in FAQ's

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  joispoi 
#1 ·
My truck has the hiccups under hard accelleration and heavy engine load, usually going up hill at 75 mph then accellerating where boost goes to 12-15lbs.

I replaced the fuel filter and the lift pump. OPS is less than 6 months old.

When it hiccups, I get a code P0236. It's says air and fuel metering on the scanner. Is this a simple over-boost code?

I have 2 other codes: P0711 and U3900

P0711 is tranny temp sensor according to my scanner IIRC. What does that mean?

U 3900 is unknown to my scanner.

Can anyone offer any insight to these trouble codes or the hiccups?

thanks- Joi

#2 ·
I just found U3900 in another post that said (undefined code)... gee that's helpful isn't it?

#3 ·
yep, truck fixed. back on the road. thanks:lol:

#4 ·
my last post was just for laughs. I'm still trying to figure this hiccup thing out. Any chance the tranny could be to blame?

#5 ·
P0236 is probably overBoost - what does your transmission temperature gage display at those hiccup times, to set the temperature DTC?

Hard load hiccuping can also be restricted fuel supply - filter, lift pump, or needs Turbine Doc's mod to the fuel supply inlet.

#6 ·
P0236 is low boost according to westers and ssdiesel. That's weird because it only happens at 12lbs+ boost.

It's hard to say what the tranny temp is when the DTC is recorded. It doesn't turn on the SES light. But it's there every time I plug into the scanner. Even when the tranny hasn't even gotten warm.

#7 ·
UnderBoost does not DTC - note all the complaints of black smoke, no power, with no DTC.

That DTC is generic for the system - wastegate, vacuum, turbocharger, Boost - but only occurs when overBoost is sensed.

Clear the trans DTC, see if it reoccurs.

If so, R&R the trans harness connectors, see if it reoccurs after.

#8 ·
UnderBoost does not DTC - note all the complaints of black smoke, no power, with no DTC.

That DTC is generic for the system - wastegate, vacuum, turbocharger, Boost - but only occurs when overBoost is sensed.

Clear the trans DTC, see if it reoccurs.

If so, R&R the trans harness connectors, see if it reoccurs after.
I've cleared all codes and it has reoccurred. sorry, can you explain "R&R"?

#9 ·
Remove and Replace - unplug it 'n plug it back in

Burnishes the contacts, re-establishes electrical continuity.

Seems like Wester's reflash oughtta handle higher Boost levels without DTC, tho

#10 ·
Remove and Replace - unplug it 'n plug it back in

Burnishes the contacts, re-establishes electrical continuity.

Seems like Wester's reflash oughtta handle higher Boost levels without DTC, tho
I know. I'm on my second reflash from them. First one was leaving me or my wife stranded when it would decide to shut off. This one trips DTCs and now the truck has the hiccups....:cool:

What is Turbine Doc's fuel supply inlet mod?

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.