Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What code readers will clear "hidden" codes? I have an FE9 truck and have the stored EGR codes, but no CEL. I am going to install a fingerstick, but want to clear the codes first without a trip to the dealer.

Will the autozone code reader be able to clear these? If not, suggestions for cheap code reader/clearer?

I have searched and can't come up with the answer. There is a lot of talk about some won't pick up those codes, but no specifics.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Any ODBII scanner should work. Not all trucks set the CEL for emissions failures.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any ODBII scanner should work. Not all trucks set the CEL for emissions failures.
I know not all trucks set CEL, I have one. I just want to know if anyone knows of a cheap code reader that is able to detect hidden codes? I know there are ones that don't:eek::

thanks

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, codes that are stored but don't set a cel. I hear lots of talk about code readers that won't detect these, but will show up when scanned with a tech 2
:eek::

anyone have suggestions? i would like to pick one up tomorrow.:help:

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Might be able to beat the Predator for the tool side, but with real time data and the performance extras, a used one might work great for you.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might be able to beat the Predator for the tool side, but with real time data and the performance extras, a used one might work great for you.
I was thinking about a predator, but knowing me, I won't be able to resist using the tuning features.

I want to get gagues and exhaust first and make sure I have trans fund in order before I start adding power.

I would also like a reader that I can use on my other vehicles.

thanks

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
I think the Predator will do others with the OBDII system. I do know Actron makes a do all system. Just make sure what you buy does the Dmax specific codes. Some do not.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the Predator will do others with the OBDII system. I do know Actron makes a do all system. Just make sure what you buy does the Dmax specific codes. Some do not.
How would I know if the scanner reads Duramax specific codes? would the reader just have to be able to read manufacture specific codes?

thanks

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
I hink there are some codes that the Duramax uses that no one else does. Check with the manufacturer before buying to be sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts