1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alldata describes it as:
"DTC P0302

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The engine control module (ECM) monitors changes in crankshaft speed using inputs from the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor and the fuel injection control module (FICM). The ECM adjusts the fuel delivery to each cylinder in order to minimize crankshaft speed changes. This DTC will set when the ECM identifies a cylinder or cylinders requiring an excessive amount of fuel in order to maintain the correct crankshaft speed."

Could this simply be a clogged fuel filter or maybe a loose wire or clogged injector? I'm running a Hypertech at level 1. The truck runs fine otherwise.

·
Registered
153 Posts
that is a cylinder #2 missfire. it is probably not a fuel filter issue more likely an injector or wiring issue. search this forum for what is called the ice pick method and try that. if that doesn't do anything it is porbably an injector issue. check for power and groundn and power at the injector while it is running or cranking one or both should flash if it has both power and ground and either of them flash it probably has an injector issue. have you had any other problems with it recently?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is a cylinder #2 missfire. it is probably not a fuel filter issue more likely an injector or wiring issue. search this forum for what is called the ice pick method and try that. if that doesn't do anything it is porbably an injector issue. check for power and groundn and power at the injector while it is running or cranking one or both should flash if it has both power and ground and either of them flash it probably has an injector issue. have you had any other problems with it recently?
No other problems with it. Seems to run just fine. CEL just came on yesterday. I do also have the po102 and po404 codes, but I think they might be related to a defective fingers stick and block off plate.
The # 2 cylinder, is that in the place same as a gas engine. First one back pass side???

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
NO-- the Duramax engines are numbered different-- GM numbers their engines from the front to the back--based on piston location-- the passenger head is further forward so #1 is the first on the passenger side, and #2 is the first on the driver's side. Driver's side head is closer to the firewall than the passenger side-!

Passenger side-- 1-3-5-7, and Driver's side is 2,4, 6,8

·
Registered
153 Posts
it sounds like you have an inproper install of your block plate. usually if you have a p0101 the maf is dirty or you have extra unmetered air getting in behind the maf sensor... such as a vaccum lead or a stuck open egr.

·
Registered
155 Posts
where could a vacuum leak come from that would effect that. i pulled them codes this winter in stock tune. cleaned maf and changed air filter. egr blocked. was thinking maybe delete all together. it does run weird in any tune. get a sudden surge i havent been able to track down. only thing i havent had tested is vps and solenoid

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cleared all three codes and did the ice pick trick today and drove it around maybe 10 miles with four stop and starts. Checked for codes and so far none. If p0302 comes back, I'll check for voltage in the lines like you stated above. With dtc's p0102 and p0404, the CEL never came on. (Calif. truck) These two dtc's have been triggered for about 6 months that I'm aware of. Only p0302 set off the CEL light. Don't know what's up with that. I see no difference in the way the engine runs with or without any of the dtc's. I put some Lucas injector cleaner in the tank which will help clean all the injectors. Thanks for the help. I'll keep you posted....

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Inspect the FICM wire harness at the passenger side of the alternator. The harness and wires get cut, and sometimes short to ground, by contact with the sharp corner of the FICM bracket.

The harness is tied down with a zip tie, cut the zip tie, open up the plastic loom, carefully check for bare wires. Repair, and insulate with a piece of heater hose.

This is a common problem for the LLY engine. Everyone that has a LLY should check this now!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanted to post back that ever since I did the ice pick trick to the # 2 FI electrical connector, the code hasn't come back. I must have caught it at a very early stage as the truck never did run rough. Thanks to everyone here... Mac

·
Registered
153 Posts
your welcome thats why we are here!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can someone explain what the ice pick trick is ? Thanks, JJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Administrator
15,991 Posts