Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this Suburban a little less than a month ago and had a hell of a time getting it to run decent - had a leaky WIF sensor, dead OPS, bad ignition switch, and a bad 5 volt supply in the PCM. :cussing: It's been reliable for a week, but it keeps throwing a code 36. It sets soon after startup when I have to accelerate out onto the main road, the MIL blinks on for a few seconds and then goes out. If I clear it after the engine is warm, I can flog the wee out of the truck without it setting any codes. Is this PMD related, or do I actually have a problem with the fuel solenoid?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Remove that filter on the OPS harness.

I don't think you need it with the upgraded OS. I took mine off and no code yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By OPS I meant the oil pressure switch. I haven't looked at the optical sensor wiring much, I'll check to see if there's anything "extra" on there.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Sorry, I meant OS. It's a short filter harness.

If it's on there try without it.

36 is OS related.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DavidPhillips;1570322; said:
Sorry, I meant OS. It's a short filter harness.

If it's on there try without it.

36 is OS related.
All the info I have seen says it's PMD/fuel solenoid related.

DTC Information Code: 36 Modules:
Description: Injection Pulse Width Error (Time Long)
How is it optical sensor related?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Not sure how all of it ties in exactly. The filter can cause 17, 18, 35, 36, and others related to the IP.

I was getting some 17, 18, 35, 36 and a 54 one time. I changed the OS and it's cured.

Start by removing the filter and see what happens.

In your case if it were PMD or ESO it would go dead or stumble.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where would I find the filter? Do you have a link to a pic?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
look on top of the IP, there is a plug directly on the top. It's held in by a small plastic clip.

The filter plugs in there and is a few inches long with a female plug on the other end. It can be removed and the male plug on the main harness plugs in.

I'll see if I can find a picture.

PMD would be stalling or missing.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts

Complements of SSDieselSupply.com.....

Optical Sensor Filter Harness for all 94-2002 6.5TD's using the electronic DS4 injection pumps.

Some applications will trip a false codes from interferance from the alternator. This plug-in noise filter will eliminate this fault.

Simply un-plug the optical sensor harness and plug into this filter harness then back into the optical sensor. No tools required. A 5 minute job!

Will eliminate false trips of 17, 18, 35, 36, 42, 43 or 1216, 1217, 0183, 0183 caused by alternator noise interferance.

If you are experiencing these codes and no other symptoms, you may be tripping false codes from alternator interferance.

Thanks again Walt

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I'll take a look-see when it gets light. :)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If it is a false code try to unplug the alternator and see if the code goes away.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No filter harness.

I'll try the alternator thing next weekend. Not gonna do it at 5:00 AM.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If it's a stock IP with the original optical sensor then if the alternator thing gets rid of the codes you hopefully just need to get a filter harness and put it in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts