Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it and how does it compare to the transgo? Cost? Tranny removal to install?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
The ATS Co-Pilot™ LCT-1000 Upgrade Kit - http://atsdiesel.com/products/products-gm-transmission.html

"We have designed an easy add on kit for the LCT-1000 transmission for use with any power upgrades performed to the Duramax Diesel. The Copilot™ transmission upgrade offers some very powerful transmission features that you will not find anywhere else in the industry. We have designed the Copilot™ to work in complete harmony with the factory TCM (Transmission Control Module) and ECM (Engine Control Module) so shift quality and timing is optimized. The Copilot™ electronic commander module allows the driver to adjust the shift quality of the transmission shift (firmness or softness) on the fly. This is a first for the Allison LCT-1000 transmission. The Commander module is fully adjustable to any power level. There is a base level and a sub level built in to the module; the base level controls the shift quality wile the sub level controls the amount of assistance the transmission receives during high torque applications. The Copilot™ Commander module knows the logic of the transmission and it can sense problems with the Allison transmission before they happen. The Copilot™ also controls the apply of the torque converter clutch during high power conditions. Due to the fact fluid coupling is only so efficient, the commander module will detect this condition and apply the converter clutch when it is needed to transfer power to the wheels instead of transferring the energy into heat. This energy transfer correlates into increased acceleration and increased economy. The adjustability of this kit is a huge advantage over other after market kits that are fully mechanical and do not offer any user options."

The ATS Co-Pilot™ LCT-1000 Upgrade Kit - http://atsdiesel.com/products/products-gm-transmission-valvebody.html

"The ATS Co-Pilot™ upgrade kit for the Allison 1000 transmission solves the major problems with the stock Allison LCT-1000 when you turn up the power of the Duramax, the stock Allison 1000 transmission begins to slip in 5th gear, and the factory single-disc torque converter lockup clutch begins to slip. This slippage causes the Allison 1000 to go into fail-safe mode, preventing you from getting your Duramax power to the ground. Our Co-Pilot™ upgrade kit for the Allison includes all the components necessary to increase the torque capacity of the stock transmission by approximately 200 foot pounds of torque. This kit makes it possible to transfer 100% of the power developed by a modified engine to the rear wheels with out causing the dreaded transmission slip and fail safe condition that plagues the Allison transmission. This kit allows the transmissions clutch packs to receive full line pressure (clamping force needed to apply the clutches) during high power situations. The stock Allison LCT-1000/2000 and 2400 transmissions torque capacity has been reduced by limiting the pressure that is available in the clutch packs. The stock Allison transmission only receives approximately 86 PSI oil pressure to the clutch packs when in 5th gear. After the addition of the Co-Pilot™ transmission system, the transmission clutch packs receive approximately 230 PSI. By allowing the available line pressure to the clutch packs we have designed a system that increases the torque capacity of the Allison transmission by over 200 foot pounds of torque with the simple addition of our Co-Pilot™ transmission kit. When the ATS pump kit (part of the TripleLok™ upgrade kit) is installed in addition to the Co-Pilot™ the clutch pack pressures are around 290 PSI during high power conditions. This is a 170% hydraulic increase in torque capacity. This increased pressure is only in effect during high engine torque output, unlike other mechanical kits that do not use electronic controls. This removes

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
Install ease is the key to this item. Hoping to install one for Forced Induction soon and do a before/after dyno test to see how well it holds with a slip managed (hot Juice) module.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
PLAIN AND SIMPLE ----------- WILL ADD TO THE HOLDING POWER OF THE TRANSGO???????

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
have you called Clint and asked him ?Edited by: mtomac

·
Registered
464 Posts
Does anybody have a Co-pilot installed on an otherwise stock tranny?? How is the holding power with stock clutches and converter?

I'd like to see how a suncoast level v feels for a comparison. Can the Suncoast be added on top of the pilot? And can the Co-Pilot be reversed if the shifting is not to my liking. As long as the shifts are quick and crisp I don't think I'll dislike it to much!!

J

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
mtomac said:
have you called Clint and asked him ?

EVIDENTY IF I HAD I WOULDNT BE ASKING THIS ? HERE

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
I have a question. Probally can only be answered by mtomac or Amric.

And yes I have called ATS. Did not talk to Clint. Did talk to Willy? For over 1 hour.

I still do not understand the Copilot.

What all can you adjust? Stall speed? Trans brake? Shift firmness?

I am trying to build a picture in my mind as to how this thing will help me race or drive my truck. I do not care about what is happening in the tranny. I only care about what all I can adjust or fine tune? What options? Kinda like the EDGE Juice. I understand what all you can defuell so on and so forth. What does the Copilot allow me to tinker with? Anything at all?

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
As I understand it.

Shift firmness is adjusted on the base level.

The sub-level is also adjustable and is tapped into the MAP sensor, it monitors boost to determine when to bring in additonal line pressure.

Yes it can be removed if you don't like it. There is small tube on the valve body that gets a solenoid spliced into it. So to completely remove, you would have to replace that tube and unplug the harness from the trans and map sensor.

There are two other features that may be implemented. One is an overide for the speed limiter. To install this you must splice into a wire at the the trans control module that is next to the radiator on the drivers side. Another neat feature for racing is the ability to force the converter to lock at anything over 22 mph. This requires you to solder a wire to the back of your instrument cluster.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
When you say "force" the converter to lock ,does it stay locked and not unlock during the shift ??

Mac

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Mac,

I can't answer that based on personal experience. I haven't attempted the solder thing. Been meaning to... but the lack of "testicular circumference"
and confidence in my soldering abilities has stopped me. I'll see if I can get that done today and let you know. My buddy next door has some experience with a soldering iron.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Yes, it will add to the holding power of the transgo. It will help greatly over the life of the tranny. I was over with Clint,(when we were talking about the tie rod sleeves) and asked that question. You can control shift firmness with it. It adds more pressure only when it feels the power. The Transgo and the others, add more pressure near the end of the shift or after the power has hit. If you want max life and holding pressure with no problems down the road, it's a pritty good idea to have it if you are running big power. For stockers, it will help hold that 125hp program. However for more power and long life of the tranny, you need to add to it.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Adding to what Trippin said, with the wire hooked up to get the T/H signal, the converter clutch is forced "on" in 2nd gear (about 22mph.) It stays on, locking the converter and keeping it locked no mater what until the truck gets to about 10-12 mph while decelerating if you have the copilot set agressive. It will unlock sooner if you have the copilot set less agressively.

A locked converter is a good thing because all power is being transfered to the ground while in fluid coupling some power is being wasted and making heat. This works well for dragracing, truckpulling and even towing (especially when using an exhaust brake.) The converter stays locked when downshifting where the stock TCM programming will unlock the converter.

When I'm pulling and spinning out at the end I have to shut off T/H mode or it will kill the motor when I roll out of the throttle because the converter is still locked.

Peanut, I'm not sure how the Copilot would react or act with the transgo shift kit. That's why I suggested calling Clint.

Forced Induction, I know of a couple guys that have added a Copilot to the Suncoast Level5. Improved 1/4 mile times were the result.Edited by: mtomac

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.