Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would the co-pilot be of any use to a Suncoast V upgrade? Exactly what does it do?

Running:

02 2500HD CC 4wd D/A Quad 215 HJ K&N N2O Banks exhaust, wastegate Suncoast V 285/75 BFG AT

Thanks

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I know of at least 2 suncoast equipped trucks running an ATS copilot

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Mike, I think that Joe would like to see what happens to the SunCoast..after the knife is put in it. That's what he does, he builds them as tough and as quick shifting as possible. So, if it breaks.... he'll just build it that much stronger, don't ya think?

Burner-------->

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no doubt he builds them tough and backs up his work. I know of on ethat just broke and he shipped them a new transmission out immediately. I was just curious.

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
I've heard it works, but haven't tried it. I'm still running my full ATS setup, and will do so for a while yet before installing my SC-V transmission.

I will say that the Co-pilot gives the ability to deliver VERY firm shifts on the upper end of the scale, and civil, stock quality shifts when turned down.

I'd do some more research before I started playing to see what the hydraulic differences are though, as you could be negating some of the Suncoast's upgrade with the ATS.

·
Registered
464 Posts
By looking at the Co-Pilot parts it would appear it could be install by just removing the pan, assuming of course you don't do the pump mod, is this true??

And how much power can it hold?? For instance, could it hold a 145HJ or even a 215 quad?? I am looking at either the co-pilot as a start or maybe even the transgo kit that Eric installs, but I don't know which is better and which hold more power. If I do go Copilot Then when I upgrade again with ATS this part would already be done. So many choices??

Just for the info, I am looking to break into the 13's this summer and need the trans upgrade and chip that can get me there.

Jason

·
Registered
704 Posts
Forced Induction said:
By looking at the Co-Pilot parts it would appear it could be install by just removing the pan, assuming of course you don't do the pump mod, is this true??

And how much power can it hold?? For instance, could it hold a 145HJ or even a 215 quad?? I am looking at either the co-pilot as a start or maybe even the transgo kit that Eric installs, but I don't know which is better and which hold more power. If I do go Copilot Then when I upgrade again with ATS this part would already be done. So many choices??

Just for the info, I am looking to break into the 13's this summer and need the trans upgrade and chip that can get me there.

Jason

Yes, the co-pilot can be installed by just pulling the pan. They claim it will hold 200 ft-lbs above the stock Allison.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the Co- Pilot on my truck and you can make it shift so hard i am still amazed that it hasnt broke a driveshaft or rear end. Its a pretty cool setup, and you can adjust both shift firmness and at what boost level you would like it to start shifting hard. I cant really say how much power it will allow you to make by adding only the co-pilot, but with the converter, and clutch mods it definately holds 500rwhp just fine. FOr $1000 it isnt cheap, but i have no complaints.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Thanks guys, I was looking at the copilot to avoid taking the trans out, if I take it out I will go all the way, either ats or sun-V. Still not sure what I wanna do but it sounds like the copiot shifts better than the sun-V, from other posts. I hope I figure it out soon because racing season is right around the corner.

Jason

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
ghettosled said:
I have the Co- Pilot on my truck and you can make it shift so hard i am still amazed that it hasnt broke a driveshaft or rear end. <snip> FOr $1000 it isnt cheap, but i have no complaints.

What do you think the long term damage will be when you can make it shift "so hard" ...?? I would be more concerned then breaking the driveshaft ....

Mac

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
ain't broke the DS yet, remember the copilot doesn't have to be set for agressive shifts for everyday driving, just dragracingEdited by: mtomac

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I think and believe the next "weak" point isn't twisting the driveshaft nontheless ... Perhaps at the split in a CC long bed but in a Shorty or Ex cab ,nah ....

Mac

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Mackin said:
ghettosled said:
I have the Co- Pilot on my truck and you can make it shift so hard i am still amazed that it hasnt broke a driveshaft or rear end. <snip> FOr $1000 it isnt cheap, but i have no complaints.

What do you think the long term damage will be when you can make it shift "so hard" ...?? I would be more concerned then breaking the driveshaft ....

Mac

I think the point here is the adjustability is pretty darn cool. Kinda like if all the Suncoast users only had Juice but all the Co-pilot users had Attitude.

·
Registered
704 Posts
From what I have seen from my co-pilot, I can make it shift as soft as stock, or as hard as I want. So far, on sub-level 1 and main-level 3, it shifts just perfect. There are still 4 higher levels to go, but it shifts so fast already, there probably wouldn't be much improvement. I'm still glad the higher levels are there for when I start stacking.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.