Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my truck makes clunking noises when you are in 4 wheel drive on snow and you lock up the brakes. it seems that there is a lot of driveline slop somewhere. does anyone else have these problems or know where i should check for play? it does not do this in 2 wheel drive at all.

thank you,

dave:help:

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I have similar issues with my K2500. There seems to be a lot of noise from the front end and Iv'e checked out the most obvious sources. THe wheels are torqued properly, the hub and caliper bolts are tight, and the ball joint and tie rod ends do not have any play.

I am going to check my shock mounts next after I figure out how to properly adjust my torsion bars.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mine clunks all the time when I stop, or get on the throtle and then let off. Mine also makes vibrating noise on the highway when Im at 50-75 mph. I was told by a GM tech that it was normal, but I am not so shure. I wish I could solve the noise issues they are driving me nuts. If it is normal I hope chevy figures it out before I buy a new truck. Maybe the 07 HDs will be better. I have noticed I have a leak in my Tcase, i hope it is just the rear seal and not the clip pump rubbing hole issue. A seal is alot cheaper than the half case. I will be checking out my tcase soon to see if it is the seal or hole. I have also read that the rear drive shaft has some end play in it where it goes into the tcase, this spline gets dry and if you re grease it it will stop some of the clunking when you stop. If anyone else is having these problems maybe we can put our heads together and solve some issues. I run my truck in four high almost 3/4 of the year, winters are long in AK.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Mine makes the clunking noise when the Anti-lock comes on. I think that it is because the front and rear tires are rotating at different speeds as they lock up at different times, because their is a little bit of play in the 4X4 and the front and rear driveshafts can only turn at the same speed. That is the only explanation that I can make for it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANKS,

I GUESS I WILL JUST LIVE WITH IT UNTILL IT GETS WORSE. I CANT REMEMBER IF MY LAST TRUCK DID IT. IT WAS A 1500HD WITH THE 6.0. I THINK IT ALSO DID IT BUT NOT AS BAD. I should not have beat mine so hard the last year and it probably would not be so bad. i think my rear is loose inside because it does not lock up like it used to and i make a funny noise when you come to a complete stop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts