Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been experiencing a clunk sound under the drivers side floor. It sounds like something is loose. It appears when I drive over rail road tracks, manholes, pot holes etc. It seems to be slowly getting worse.

Also, looking from the rear, the truck seems to have a slight tilt to the drivers side.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I don't recall a clunk sound ~ but my hearing isn't the sharpest. I do recall the DS being lower from the factory ~ I leveled it out by cranking the torsion bars.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
MaineMax said:
The front drive shaft was lowered from the factory?

DS = Drivers Side

Sorry for the confusion

·
Registered
326 Posts
Virtually ALL GM trucks list to the DS. AAMOF, they actually have a name for it; the Silverado (Sierra) Slope. Pretty bad when you have a flaw so common that it gets a name.

The banging sound I've heard from time to time in my truck too. I've never been able to narrow it down though.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Could it be the something in the torsion bar assembly? I had a '93 pickup that was doing this when I bought it. It was a year old and I bought it from an individual. I doubt it is the same problem you are having due to you have taller than stock tires, so I am assuming you have cranked the bars a little bit. The '93 was doing it because the torsion bars were set too low(all the way down - keys were bouncing off of the adjuster. The ball joints and pitman arm was also shot.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a feeling that it may reside in the torsion bar assembly. I need to get it on a lift and take a look.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I get a clunk when I go over speed bumps. I though I might be hitting the 'top stops' of the IFS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts